Vietnamese Marshall

** A rather new looking Marshall " MA100H " valve head landed on my bench today - but it looked a bit different. On the back it says " Made in Vietnam " - so this is the first non UK made ( ie assembled) Marshall, at least that I have ever seen.

The amp was silent, valves all lit up but no output whatsoever and no extra current draw when the Standby switch was closed. OK - so where is the damn HT fuse ? Nothing on the back so it must be inside - another first for a Marshall valve amp. On the PCB is a 630mA delay fuse - very blown - fitting a new one got the amp running.

Bit of poking about finds that both 1/4 inch QCs on the PCB used for output valve grid drive are very loose - easy fixed. But was this the cause of fuse blowing? Nope.

That 630 mA HT fuse should be 1 amp at least, since it is fitted in the secondary of the PT. On test, the fuse had to pass just over 1 amp rms when the amp is over-driven. The primary AC current draw is 2 amps rms at the same time ( ie 480VA) .

On sine wave test, there is significant crossover distortion on the CRO screen at 1/2 output and above. The bias setting seemed OK - there are two trims inside and a pair of 1 ohm resistors in each pair of output valve cathodes.

On checking the screen B+ supply, the cause is simple. There is no filter choke of course ( what are they ?) and instead a 470 ohm ,7W resistor. So the screen B+ supply falls like a rock soon as the amp is driven. Guess this helps the crappy Chinese EL34s to survive overdriving.

Besides the above bad points, there are lots more.

The AC tranny is undersized - it looks like a 250VA type and needs to be

400VA to withstand hard use in this amp. Even sitting on the bench with a 605mA idle current from the AC supply, the internal temp rise is almost 40 degrees C. A couple of hours of heavy metal on a warm night will see it off.

The same * ridiculously fragile* plastic shaft pots as used on other recent Marshalls have been fitted - one light bump on the knob = nasty intermittent fault.

There is no AC voltage selector fitted and no internal option either, another first in a Marshall valve head. All the fasteners are metric too, not one single concession in sight to the brand's UK origin.

There ARE two small screw-in bulbs ( labelled 12V ) fitted inside the cabinet that illuminate the whole chassis and the "Marshall" logo through the open weave cloth. These are not ordinary 12 volt dial lamps but special dual, orange LEDs - one chip connected for each polarity when fed with AC.

Next the these is a non Accutronics ( Belton ?) reverb tank.

All the jack sockets ( 7 of them ) are very fragile, PCB mount types.

Every single part in the amp looks like it came either from China, Korea or Taiwan and then assembled in Vietnam.

Good points:

--------------

The 4 x EL34 output valves and the 12AX7 PI are on ceramic sockets, hand wired to the two trannys and the PCB.

The main PCB looks like it is easy to get lose and invert for servicing.

The amp is pretty cheap to buy.

But a used example from the 1980s is a way better product, full of UK made transformers and other parts that have proved their ability to survive in a Marshall.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

nam

east

ra

ut

when

he

are two

to be

0

ff.

ecent

ecial

AC.

or

Good info. Haven't had one of these cross my path yet. Just finished up on a DSL100 that had to have the main pcb replaced due to the bias instability issue caused by crappy board material. The replacements look to be FR4 or similar good quality stuff.

Reply to
boardjunkie1

I've an Ampeg SVT Classic here thats "manufactured in Vietnam".

Have to say the build quality seems good. The pots and sockets even seem to be the retro style chunky Western parts. I've seen quite a few of these now, never noticed the Vietnam connection before, but they have always seemed to be solidly built.

I got 340 Watts out of the 6 x Sovtek 6550's today.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"boardjunkie1"

Good info. Haven't had one of these cross my path yet. Just finished up on a DSL100 that had to have the main pcb replaced due to the bias instability issue caused by crappy board material. The replacements look to be FR4 or similar good quality stuff.

** Seen that problem a few times - it's an absolute nightmare.

Marshall should make new PCBs available for free.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Anyone located a schem for this POS on the net ??

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Just for clarity - the 630mA delay fuse was as fitted in the factory and as labelled on the PCB.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have three different issue numbers of schematics for the MA100, but none seem to identify specifically an MA100 "H". If they are any use to you, contact me off-group.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily"

** Marshall sell ( note not make) an MA100H and an MA100C.

H = head and C = combo.

Decades ago, H-H made an amp called the MA100.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So are my schematics for the Marshall MA100 any use to you ? If so, contact me and I'll send them to you ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" "Phil Allison"

** You can send them to " snipped-for-privacy@sound.au.com " if you like.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Done.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily"

** Thanks.

I'll let you know if they are for the same amp.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

OK. Noted.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Would this contain the schematic? It is not a service manual if there is such a thing.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

"Arfa Daily"

** I have all the schems now and they are certainly for the same amp.

Only thing I can spot different is that 630mA HT fuse shown in the output of the bridge rectifier where I see it fitted in the AC input. Makes no difference to the rms current flow in the part.

.....Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Fair enough. I'll know if one crosses my bench ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily"

** Update: On careful perusing of the schems, I see a more differences compared to the Vietnamese one I have.
  1. The Vietnamese have used 12V LED bulbs instead of 12 volt filament lamps.
  2. The power and output transformers carry quite different numbers.
  3. The EL34s have their heaters wired in parallel rather than series parallel.

The Vietnamese Marshalls seem to be special versions or clones of the similar UK models.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Interesting. As Vietnam is your end of the world, I wonder if they are a version specially assembled there for the Oz market, to avoid the costs of shipping such heavy items all the way from the UK. I'll see if I can probe around any Marshall contacts to find out if they know anything.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Mind beaming a copy of that schemo in this direction?

Reply to
boardjunkie1

"Arfa Daily"

** No way.

Vietnam made MA100H and MA100C amps are sold world wide in 235V and 120V versions - as Google search will proves.

Far more likely, initial assembly began the UK a couple of years ago and then was shifted to Vietnam cos they could do it cheaper even than the Chinese.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison