Vestibule vs Veranda

I still don't get it. Here, in construction, you might hear: 'veranda' and 'vestibule'. I decided to look them up. ====================

" ... is that vestibule is a passage, hall or room, such as a lobby, between the outer door and the interior of a building while veranda is a gallery, platform ..,"

Vestibule vs Veranda - What's the difference? Wiki Difference

---

bruce bowser

A Vestibule, by definition, may be isolated - it is a weather break between the inside and the outside. Its size is determined by the need, and it may be large or small. And, technically, it may be anywhere in a building that requires an "airlock" function. Anti-chambers, anti-rooms and similar are typically larger, and may serve additional functions such as including a secretary, guard or aide.

A veranda is a side porch without direct access to the front or back of the house, and serves as a private sitting area. A similar location with access tp the front or back would be a 'front porch' or 'back porch' respectively. Verandas and porches may be up a step or two, but if they are raised up a full floor (or more), they are balconies. A sitting area at-grade is called a Patio.

So, our main house has a Patio, Back Porch, Veranda and Vestibule. Our summer house has a Balcony, upper deck, lower deck, and a small deck creek-side we have nicknamed "the dock". The latter is set on ground screws to avoid disturbing the creek bank. No digging, and it will withstand high water.

My wife, being from Virginia, is fully versed on the fine differences between Porches and Verandas. And also the many versions of Y'all.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.