VCR video playback problem

It's a Zenith VCS442. Worked fine until the video playback started to look like the heads needed cleaning (fuzzy picture a bit like bad tracking, but audio OK), tried a wet cleaning casette, no help; opened it up and cleaned the rotating drum and 2 stationary heads (erase and audio?) with a foam swab and alcohol, then dry swabbed and waited 5 mins to dry further. Seemed to solve the problem, but the next day the problem reappeared; did same cleaning routine and again it seemed to do the job, but this time less than a half hour later the video was totally blank (though it looks almost normal on CUE and REW).

Seems like if I 'fix' it again it just might bite somebody.

Is this just another way VCRs go defunct or is there something else that can be done? I'm strictly an amateur with, apparently, just enough repair skills to cause damage. I bought it 2nd hand at a thrift store a few months back.

Reply to
Bob

Have you considered BAD TAPE

Reply to
Yukio YANO

Yukio YANO wrote in news:pEevl.40677$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

Yes. The tapes are good, or at least can't ALL be bad.

Reply to
Bob

I think he means they're dirty and/or shedding.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have seen this with failing video heads. Repeated clogging. On one I even saw a small "whisker" protruding from the coil wire of the head chip. Actually built up a pile of the finest tape oxide shavings you could imagine. Obviously, a new video head was required.

Seems unlikely this would be cost-effective for the Zenith in question however, even if the part were available.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

observe the unit in playback. does the tape get slanted or wrinkled by the pinch roller ? is the pinch roller hard or shiny? these fail often and drag the tape unevenly, causing similar symprtoms to what you have. If you don't see any black tape residue in the tape path which would point to wear/head clogging, I would look at changing the roller before ditching it. also check the backtension band on the supply spool.

The mechanism works smoothly, pinch roller looks OK, a scrupulous re- cleaning and close examination, followed by inserting a known-OK tape, yields the same results. Looks like its curtains for this one.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Reply to
Bob