VCR repair - Zenith VRM4150

Symptoms:

POWER button red LED goes on and off alternately with the VFD showing "SET CLOCK". Together with this, at the same rate the head does atempt to move a bit, not a full turn, rather a tick in the same direction all the time. Nothing else: no button work, no tape operation.

I checked the power supply, shorting something and destroying it on the way, but I got it fixed :-) Now the power supply seems to be good - I read following voltages on the power connector when power supply taken out of the machine: pin 1: GND, 2: 6V, 3: 24V, 4&6: 0V,

5: 41V, 7: -22V, 8: -34V, 9: -26V. When the power supply is hooked up the voltages are obviously lowered a bit from the applied load. I see slight voltage "movement" together with the display blinking, when the display is on the pin 2 shows 5.2V when it is off it shows 5.7V... Other than that, voltages are pretty solid.

What can I test for? How can I aproach the diagnosis of this VCR malfunction ?

Reply to
Pszemol