VCR question

My (almost new) JVC video recorder started acting up. It worked fine except that it would not display the set up screen (for setting the clock, setting recording times etc.) On a long chance, I unplugged it and reconnected it and --- presto ---- it's back to normal. Two questions...

1)What did I do? (Is it something like rebooting a frozen computer?) 2)Is it likely to happen again Tx ds
--
"If god were alive today, he would be an atheist"
Kurt Voneguit

Yes, basically the micro was confused and you reset it.

This happens occasionally with micro-based stuff like modern TVs, satellite decoders, digiboxes etc, though I'll admit I've yet to see a VCR do it.

It was probably a mains spike or something, I'd forget about it and rest easy. If it starts to do it regularly then there could be a problem. Keep an eye on it and return it under warranty if it does it a few more times in say the next month or so.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

**Yes.

**Possibly. I have an el-cheapo JVC 592U that did the same thing that you describe. It has a tendency to do it if something happens electricity-wise but I seem to recall that it happened two or three times when I stopped a programmed recording (or the electricity went out while it was recording). When I went back to use it (after it had been shut off), I got nothing but blue screen when I wanted to set a recording time. Now if I have to stop a timed recording, I stop it and then I go in and delete it off of the timer screen. Haven't had a problem since.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom