UPS

So what is a recommended UPS based on lack of repair experience? Say around 1000W and say around $150 new.

1000 watts for $150 might be difficult. Something like this should be close to your target price: While you're contemplating why you received a well deserved stupid reply, please consider that it helps to disclose what you're powering, duty cycle, number of phases required, environmental conditions, and reliabilty expectations. For example, if you plan to run your unspecified load for many hours at near the full 1000 watt load, it will probably burn up the UPS.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Thanks for the laugh and Merry Christmas.

Reply to
stratus46

Well, if 750W is actually enough and you just want it to ride out few-minute outages and let your computer shut down gracefully in longer ones, then those $50 IBM eServer 750Ts from eBay are excellent. (Hmm...that has a nice ring to it) That plus a new set of batteries comes in at $100 or so, and you'll have something pretty dependable IME.

The IBM-badged ones go cheaper than the (afaik otherwise identical) APS SmartUPS 750s.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Bah Humbug. (It's the season so I can do that).

Recommending a generator is one of my standard replies. If the load can tolerate being down for the time it takes to start the generator, then above some number of kilowatts, a generator is cheaper and better. However, if the load needs to be up 100% and can't tolerate even a few milliseconds of downtime, then a UPS is required. For loads that need both fast switchover, and long run times, both a UPS and a generator are best. For example, the local PSAP (public safety answering point) has a rather large bank of batteries and a very big UPS system, which will run most of the emergency center for maybe

10-15 minutes, long enough to get the generator started, synchronized, and stable.

For my self at home, there are only a few things I want to keep powered up in the event of a power failure. Mostly the internet stuff and one laptop and monitor. All of those now run either directly from a battery at 12V, or from a small DC to DC converter. No UPS needed. (Edison was right. DC rules). Unfortunately, I have a few things that insist on AC power, so I have a small UPS to run my desktop. That will eventually go away as I switch to small computahs.

Anyway, my point is really that the quality of the answer largely depends on the quality of the question.