UPDATE: RCA TV model J20541, chassis CTC203J2 with Excessive Reg B+

Hi,

I didn't locate the source of the problem (see below) after testing many parts, but I used a "patch", after the owner gave permission, to restore the proper B+, which I assume is +130V (HV now around 25KV). Note: I do not have SM.

"Patch" to Restore Reg B+ to 130V:

880K (resistors combo) across R14115, 143K.

Thanks to Franc Zabkar for the training manual source (see below). It has partial schematics.

I found a few others on the web that had the same problem, one had exactly the same "+154" volts, however no one posted a solution. One person said he had that problem and he said the problem lies on the secondary side of the transformer in the feedback circuit, but he didn't say what part(s) he replaced (if he fixed it?). Of course, this is what I suspected in the beginning, and I checked many parts in the feedback for the regulator, also the regulator reference circuit, and many parts around the regulator on the primary side. I checked +13V and +16V sources, which were about a volt+ high until I installed the "patch".

Next, I would have to replace semi-conductors, although I tested them in circuit, to see if one of them is the problem, but there is a limit to how much time, and the customer is willing to pay me to fix this 20" TV. I already spent too much time on this repair project.

Brad

Hi, > > I have a 20" screen RCA TV model J20541, chassis CTC203J2 >(mfg 10/00) in my service shop (no SM). > > TV tries to go on, but turns right off due to excessive HV. The >regulated B+ measured +154V which is too high. > > I tested some parts in the voltage regulator circuit, but without a >schematic, I am "handicapped". > > Did anyone fix a similar problem with this or similar chassis TV? > > Thanks in advance, Brad > > Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., > be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Response from Franc regarding the source for the training manual:

>I managed to unpack the archive with Winrar, but you need to download >>all 6 parts first. >> >>

Reply to
Brad