UPDATE: Analog Joystick Mystery

Hi,

Thanks to William (and others) for his suggestion, but the file, "ESS_Dos_config.zip" he suggested I download, did not "recognize" the ES1788 in my laptop. It "applies" to a later version like the ES1869.

However, I found "1678DOS.EXE" (self extracting zip file) on the web. Sorry, I lost the location. This solved my problem. I simply launch "ESSCFG.EXE" and select "6" (menu) and then "enable" the joystick. Note: This "ESSCFG.EXE" also "recognized" ES1788.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post.

Brad

Hi! > >I've never heard of BIOS support for a joystick/game port. > >Windows provides a virtual joystick (vjoyd, IIRC) driver that probably >initializes the port and gets it to the point of working before you attempt >to use it. > >The gameport is usually implemented by way of the sound card/sound chip. >Chances are you need a DOS enabler to get the sound chip up and running so >you can use the game port. > >Most likely you need this: >ftp://ftp.esstech.com/pub/audio-modem/Win311_DOS/ISA/DOS/ESS_DOS_config.zip > >(quoting the readme: "ESSCFG.EXE allows the user to configure the ESS sound >chip with a base address, a DMA channel, an IRQ channel, and an address for >the MPU-401 port, if a wavetable is supported by the sound card.") > >to get the card/chip running and initialized before you can use the >joystick. > >Chances are that the ESS1788 is an ISA PnP device and must be initialized >somehow before anything can see or use it. The older computer is more likely >to have used a chipset that's always enabled and/or has its resources >assigned in some "hardwired" method, such as jumpers, switches or possibly >even BIOS settings. > >William > >>Hi, >> >> I have a Compaq Presario 1060 laptop (WIN95), bought around 1997. It has a >>game port connector. I have two analog joysticks (Kraft and Quick Shot, >>QS201) which I am unable to use in Dos mode (Windows shut down). I can use >>them at the Dos "Prompt". I couldn't find a Dos mode driver for either >>joystick, but there is a handler in BIOS for a joystick so I really don't need >>a Dos driver. >> >> I used a Dos based "JOYREAD" tool which uses two modes (the joystick >>handler in BIOS or software loop) to read the joystick port (0201h). Both >>modes work fine at the Dos "Prompt", but neither works in Dos mode. Simple >>button/s pressing can't be detected in Dos mode, but detected just fine at Dos >>Prompt!!! >> >> Note: I have a Dos mode Commodore 64 emulator that will not "run" >>at the Dos prompt. I have many C64 games that work best with a >>joystick. Also note, I have a Compaq Presario CDS774 desktop >>computer I bought in late 1995. These same joysticks work just >>fine in Dos mode (without Windows) using the BIOS joystick handler. >> >> Is there a direct connection with the sound system (ES1788 from >>ESS Technology) and this port? >> >> What "enables" this port when Windows is launched, even though >>there is a BIOS (rom) handler for this port? >> >> Thanks in advance, Brad >> >> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., >> be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.
Reply to
Brad