Try this fix for portable DVD player if "no disc" but spins error...

Here's one for posterity.

I have a portable DVD player (10" Mintek MDP-1060) has gotten into a situation where it will spin up but then not detect disc. I've heard suggestions of shot laser, clean the lens, laser re-alignment, and I'm sure there are situations where that is valid.

Part of my problem is an aggressive 3-year old coupled w/ a cheap DVD player, but that's a separate matter.

On 1 prior occasion was able to get the thing to work by trying an audio cd instead.

On all occasions the issue was (I think) the play head / pickup was way out at the edge of its read area.

After trying all sorts of things (nudging the head transport gingerly included), I simply put a disc in and put the thing on its side opposite the head (in my case the head was on the left of the unit so put the unit on it's right side - ie, resting on its right edge, perpendicular to normal play setting. I did this thinking that gravity could give the thing or the laser the nudge it needed to get back to norm.

Then, I pressed play, and bingo, it worked.

Good luck in the future if you read this and hopefully it'll solve your problem in lieu of trashing the unit.

Reply to
trippknightly

cool , thanks for sharing

Reply to
rb

Laser out at the edge of the disc and stuck, is quite common on portables. It's my feeling that it's caused by these players leaving the laser at the last read position it was at, when the player was stopped and the door opened, in contrast to regular players, where pressing stop or open causes the laser to home to the inboard park posistion. If the laser is left out at the end of its track, where it's often not used much, it may be encountering dry slides, and the friction is just too much to get it going again. The portables are often worm shaft driven rather than gear train, and seem to be more prone to sticking. The CD deck that is commonly fitted to Technics hifi's is worm driven, and also suffers from getting stuck at the outer disc edge. Stripping the deck and cleaning and relubing the worm and the laser slides, invariably effects a cure.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily