Tripping Mains circuit - how to isolate?

Spread a little hot melt glue on the join before sliding the heatshrink sleeve over it, if you do it right the heat applied to shrink the sleeve makes the hot melt glue spread either side of the join and makes a completely moisture proof seal.

Reply to
I.F.

Its probably worth mentioning that ELCBs rarely actually measure ground current, its more common to measure the difference between the currents flowing in live & neutral - obviously if there's more current in the live wire than the neutral, then it must be going somewhere it shouldn't! This eliminates the need to put an additional component in the earth lead (which could fail!) It senses a fault current flowing to earth via a person and also works on 2 wire appliances with no earth wire.

Reply to
I.F.

Hi...

Fantastic idea; thanks for sharing it :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

It takes a little practice to get it right - at first you might find the sleeve splits quite easily!

Reply to
I.F.

Do "hot-melt" glues come in different temperature ratings? I've seen pre- glued heatshrink things - actually, they were little boots, that you'd put over a twisted connection, much like a wire nut, and they already had the meltable glue inside them.

ISTR the number 105C, i.e., at 105 degrees C, the heatshrink loosens and shrinks; I'd think I'd want the glue to melt before the tubing gets much hotter than that.

Then again, I've also seen coax terminators made out of two wires, a couple of rings of solder, and heatshrink. It must have been some very low-melting solder, but they were pretty kewl to install too. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There are all sorts of ultra low temperature melting alloys, some of which will melt in your hand.

Small Parts is one source.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Pure metallic sodium might melt in the hand - only trouble is, it'd melt the hand too!

Reply to
I.F.