Battery Charger Tripping

A charger for a 36volt Electric Bicycle is tripping audibly. The output voltage with no load rises to only a fraction of the 36v between trips. Disconnecting the output winding of the switching transformer doesn't stop the tripping so the fault appears to be aound the TOP247Y IC or the associated transformer. Should I be an optimist and buy a new IC?

TIA John

Reply to
John

A make and model number or further information would be a BIG help

Reply to
hrhofmann

output

trips.

doesn't stop

A make and model number or further information would be a BIG help

The Manufacturer is Singapore Technologies Automotive and the model is WST-3162 The circuit is similar to the typical one shown on the first page of the data sheet for the TOP247Y. The symptoms seem consistent with the IC cycling through "auto restarts"

Reply to
John

have yo u measured diodes and resistors in the secondary stage s to check for shorts or hi-values? start with the simplest or cheapest things first!

-B

output

trips.

doesn't stop

the

Good idea to look for a simple or cheap solution. However, I think I have eliminateed the relatively large number of components on the secondary side by disconnecting the secondary winding. I also checked the feedback opto-coupler is not s/c. On the primary side there are only a few components likely to cause repetitive restart symptoms. My guess is: Trannsformer, IC, 2 series diodes across the primary winding. The diodes test OK on a simple meter test. There is no sign of any heat stressed component. John

Reply to
John