Total Ripoff Pioneer Spares

I'm sick of this shit.

Someone brings me a Pioneer mixer or CDJ to repair, and I need to order spares.

How do they get away with this?

I have just placed an order for some DJM and CDJ Pioneer spares with a

knobs, so this really is the real price. The switches and pots I need cost more than this.

Seethe, seethe.

I've looked at 3D printers as an alternative, but from the few samples I've seen, the plastic is rock hard and not suitable for a comfy knob, and I don't think its possible to produce a grey knob with a white line pointer anyway. The Pioneer ones I want are squidgy.

Gareth.

Upset.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Yeah, we live in a society in which you get paid more to play than to work, and in which things are worth one tenth the sum of their parts.

They gougya. I DO understand business and that they are paying rent on thes e things and that boxes and all kinds of administrative costs make part cos t more apart than when the unit is mass produced. But fifteen bucks is out of line for a knob.

Unless the customer is persnickety I would consider replacing them all with sometbing that matches well enough and is a bunch cheaper, maybe even used off a junk unit somewhere. However that doesn't cut it for a bona fide res toration or things like that. And sopme people/shops have a policy that eve rything is according to the manufacturer.

Well they have their clientele and I have mine. Except for the esoteric aud iophile type most of them don't give a shit much as long as they can turn t he knob. Nice if the all match.

Reply to
jurb6006

[...]

Trust me, I've been long down this line of replacing knobs/switches etc with stuff you can buy of the shelf, but you just can't, and it just doesn't work, cos the DJ and me can spot the subterfuge a mile off. And this is not some old Pioneer hi-fi, this is Current production Pioneer High End DJ gear for clubs/tours etc.

This is the package I have in my workshop right now I need spares for:

The fact is, Pioneer have ensured that their parts are the only ones you can use on their products, and can and do charge what they want.

Nice work if you can get it.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Oh, it's not just electronic stuff:

And you thought the Pioneer knob was expensive! A dozen years ago it

markings had worn off, and a couple were loose).

--

Jeff
Reply to

At least you have the advantage of the unit being a "high end" product. Im agine the fun of dealing with the same garbage on a low end unit..

I have a 50" Proscan LED TV only a few months old (2014 Black Friday POS) t hat has corrupted firmware. I have a dozen files from various brands that use the same basic mainboard but can't find the exact one that will give me a normal picture, or remote functions, etc.

I called Proscan, and they won't send me the firmware (had to explain to th e phone dunce what firmware was). So I asked for the eeprom; they don't se ll ICs. I asked for a price on the main, and they said they don't sell thos e either. Their solution is to pack up the TV and send it to Michigan for repair.

Of course, the customer abandoned this toilet for a problem that could be s olved with an email. So the TV is junk unless and until I get another one like it in the shop with an intact firmware that I can copy.

Reply to
John-Del

I suggest switching it off for a while, let if cool down, if it continues to behave erratically hit something with it ;)

you've lost that lovin' feelin':

erotic, yet safe for work!

ve

and they won't even go up to 11!? for the hobbyist a layer of Sugru might d o the trick, but I think the "scum bag djs" below would probably send round their biggest bouncer to explain how "sensitive" their "business associate " was, finger by finger ;)

and for a thread that starts "ISotS", I'd like to re-harsh your mellows by suggesting that "selectors" leave their knobs alone and just play some nice tunes. . .

you fightin? I'm asking! ;P

--
http://tenyen.net/
Reply to