Toshiba TV audio distortion

Got a 7 year old Toshiba TP50F90 50" rear projection TV with average 6-7 hours per day use that's started distorting sound on most channels when set to stereo. It sounds OK when set to mono. And the sound is OK playing pre-recorded DVSs or VHS tapes. So my layman's guess is the problem is in the TV's tuner's stereo circuitry. Cable company came out and checked the cable and it's OK.

Describing these symptoms to local (Atlanta) TV repair guys brings "blind" estimates in the $500 range to fix.

Anything I can tackle myself? Worth fixing? Time for a new TV?

Doug

Reply to
Douglas C. Niedermeyer

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Doug

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

Doug, Toshiba replaced part of my audio circuit for the same set when it was under warranty. The tech did note that there was a design flaw that Toshiba was aware of and that it had to do with some of the wiring being to close to the (a) highvoltage part of the set. They replaced the part(s) and re-routed the affected wiring. Cheers Dave

Reply to
dx375