Toshiba 32A42, apparent uP problem

Hi...this is an exchange between a friend and I from earlier today. I cannot do repair work anymore due to physical limitation in my manual dexterity, so cannot take any measurements. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

Tom

Hey Tommy, just had a quick ? for ya about my damm tv. I know that you have been away from fixing them for awhile but dad say's that you don't forget easy and would be the person to talk to. Anyway yesterday the tv just started turning down it's own volume and it did that for like an hour. I would turn it up and it would turnitself down. Then that stoped and about an hour later it started scanning thru the channels for no apparent reason all by itself. This is the point at which I tryed to simply turn it off using both the remote and the main switch on the tv but it would not respond. So i unpluged it to try and maybe reset it or something and now it will not turn on. The tv is a Toshiba 32 inch and the model # is 32A42. hey don't know what to do but if you have any insight or have come across this problem before please let me know. Thanks in advance

When I first read your description, I thought it might be a stuck front panel button, but the multiple faults indicates it is likely the microprocessor/uP (similar to what is in a computer) or its peripheral circuitry. Toshiba years ago had a flaky line of uP IC's that ended up in other brands, particularly MTC. We would replace dozens every month. I'll get online later to research it a bit, and get back to you tomorrow.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

The multiple faults indicate that several buttons were still wet from the glass cleaner that dripped down on them.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Ah...maybe...forgot about that one. This guy is more savvy than that, but someone else may not be...will pass it on...thanks David.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I bet you got an eeprom corrupted.