Tone controls

In another thread which google =BD FUBARed, tone controls were mentioned.

Pots are the best way to control audio.

Now I never built this circuit but let me splain it. I want opinions, and number one is audio quality. cost does not matter.

I wanted a bass control with extreme range and a continuously variable turnover. Rather than playing around with the geometry of the components I simply amplified the signal about 20dB, and resistively divided it back down, and sent it throught a low output impedance buffer. Put the R/C network at the slider and a rheostat determined the crossover frequency. At the time I figured getting tightly matched stereo pots was hard enough, I didn't need to complicate it.

The specs boiled down (it took a while to do the math) to +-18dB from

0Hz to a variable crossover of 44 to 484 Hz.

I know idiots blow speakers if you give them a control like that, but I would still like to build one just for the hell of it.

Can you still buy pots ? I'll take just about any resistance and build around it at this point.

Actually my system is so flat from about 30-16,000 or so, I only want those extreme ends boosted, nothing else. Even a 12 band EQ will not do that.

Can potentiometers still be had ? especially the audio taper ones ?

The design is like a mixing filter and should suffer alot less phase problems.

But can I get the pots ?

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

turnover.

Have you seen "This is Spinal Tap"?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

A good parametric will. Yes, you can still buy pots.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

"But you see, these dials go to ELEVEN!"

Reply to
Dave

variable

matched

build

A Paraphase Tone Control may be the answer. There are numerous schematics around the web but one rather interesting project by Ton Giesberts in Elektor July/August 2006 looks promising. The article is available at a charge for direct download from the Elektor website and may save you a few headaches due to a pcb pattern being available.

Ross Herbert

Google "Baxandall tone control"

Isaac

Reply to