High Power SSR

I am trying to come up with a high power SSR design that can run off the output of a 110 vac triac dimmer and switch a separate supply to a load of lamps and still dim. I have found that back to back SCRs should work but can not find a way to control them from the output of an existing triac dimmer. Is there a way this can easily been done?? Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

That's a perverse design. Why not design a complete system?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

What is the aim - SSR's don't perform dimming they are on or off. You want an SSR to come on when you turn on some dimmer lamps?

Like Homer says "that's perverse," If you must, I guess you could kludge together a 7 watt 120 lamp and photocell and use the photocell in one leg of the variable resistor of a conventional dimmer circuit.

default

default wrote: > On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 03:26:44 GMT, "AIMatrix"

Not necessarily. The Crydom D series with the '-10' suffix are intended for phase control so no zero cross switching. The D2490-10 can do 280 VAC at 90 amps. Slaving it to a dimmer could be done but is ONE HELL OF A SAFETY HAZARD if you don't know what you're doing. In the past we did a multi-channel lighting controller using the D2440-10 units for dimming 1 kW lights. It would be a snap using a microcontroller with a power line interrupt.

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

of

can

dimmer.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Nice idea, but using a lamp and photocell my be to slow for dimming. Thanks Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

of

This would be an add on to an existing system. A 16 channel light controler with dimming, 8 amp max output per channel. I would like to build a high power random phase SSR to run off a separate power sorce controled by the exsisting controler. Plug it in to any output channel of the controler to control up to 20 amps off the separate power sorce. May only be needed here or thare and so would be cost prohibited to modify the existing controler. Hope that clarifys.

Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

Exactly, they are called random turn on SSRs but are rather expensive that's why I would prefer to design one out of discrete components with 110 volt input.

Thanks Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

those so called random are not expensive and they are not special by any means. if you need a COS/SIN detector that can start a delayed timer to pulse the gate or input line of the SSR of a NON Zero crossing unit. basically, a simple SCR with an opto coupler etc..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

You could use a opto-coupler, with a capacitor as the current limiting element for the LED. The capacitor will cause a phase shift, so you'll have to add some additional phase shift to get back to 360 degrees.

Reply to
Arlet

Still confusing, but if I wanted to build a multi channel stage dimmer board I would look at off the shelf wall dimmers. They can be a few bucks each. Mount them with a suitable cooling system (fans?) and remote the control pots to make a compact control board.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

separate

amps

board

Thanks Homer; but I already have the controller. I am trying to make a box I can plug into one of the outlets on the existing controller to control higher loads from a seperat sorce and still have dimming capabilitys. Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

110

Jamie; Thay are not that common, especially with 110volt input. Crydom makes them A1225-10 and the only suppler to stock them wants $25 each with a $30 min order. Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

the

load

but

120,000+

Thanks

Thanks Arlet; I was hoping for something simpler may be a big current limiting resistor, but I do not know how well it will handel the phase shifting?? Andy

Reply to
AIMatrix

strange, we have bins full of them at work. zero crossing and non-zero crossing types. the Non-crossing types, in 90+ input control range and something like the 5..28 volt range. we use them with another phase trigger board to control output level to operate large tension motors, clutches etc.. also got a couple different kind in the 3 phase types.

oh well.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

So you want one single high capacity channel?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

box

Andy

Yes, That can be plugged into any channel of the existing controller to get its control signals and switch a separate supply.

Reply to
AIMatrix

It's kind of doable but it's like using an outboard motor to control the speed of the engine on an ocean going liner.

You could make up a load resistor and put the primary of a pulse transformer in series and use that to fire a triac or back to back SCRs. But I would find another way.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

message

intended

OF

did

makes

$30

Maybe they are common at your work, but not to the general public thru the online venders that would sell one peace. Would you sell me one for less than $25.

Reply to
AIMatrix