Today's Lead Free Crap Solder Stories ...

I put something like "recycling solder on circuit boards" into Google, and there are many links to sites explaining the processes involved. Wiki has quite a good article about it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I saw it in an electronics manufacturing trade journal about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I had to leave all of them where I was working at the time.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is anyone measuring it and are they going to publish the results?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

All sorts of unplanned groundwater pollution is expected from this fire, possibly triggered by accepting metallic foundry waste. Ohio is still discovering unknown toxic waste dumps and the remaining industry keeps finding ways to make new ones. Greed and capitalism will not solve all our problems.

It seems cheaper to pollute, get fined repeatedly and go bankrupt before paying the bill. If we shot the CEO's afterwards they might start getting the idea its not ok.

They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Reply to
George Jetson

But as I remember reading business magazines back 20-25 years ago, the real push to get nasty stuff out of the waste streams were the companies that built and wanted to run garbage incinerators, so they could get free fuel to run electric generators. This would reduce their expenses for sorting the stuff coming in and scrubbing the stuff going out.

Pretty easy to see how big outfits would, by lobbying the legislators and bureaucrats, influence the various governments, and after a while, the whole idea would get institutionalized. Even if opposition managed to cut down on the number of incinerators actually built, the laws and regulations live on.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Burning landfills, burning abandoned coal mines*.. and no agency wants to pick up the costs of correcting these problems (the folks in the agencies don't live near the problems). There appear to be groups that would prefer to study these disasters, and a huge lack of any action to correct these problems.

The citizens' money, clean water and air will all be properly disposed of.

Part of the problem, the EPA's Allen said, "is that underground fires are still a relatively new problem for the agency". Bullshit.. followed by this sentence: The first occurred 10 years ago at a Trumbull County landfill. I wasn't able to find any info specifically concerning the Trumble County landfill.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania actually accepts municipal (and probably industrial) waste to be hauled into PA from as many as 15 other states (maybe more, now). Since PA is bordered by only 6 states, this would mean that states beyond the bordering states are hauling waste long distances to dump waste into PA landfills.. that's a lot of fuel, whether the waste is moved by truck or railway.

According to statistics, Americans generated nearly 230 million tons of municipal solid waste in 1999 (when many stores didn't sell practically all made in China goods). This number is included in a document entitled: Landfill Fires Their Magnitude, Characteristics, and Mitigation - May

2002/FA-225. Of the 230M tons, it's stated that 28% was recycled, and 15% incinerated (which I don't suppose includes the incineration taking place in active landfill fires).

*The coal beneath Centralia PA has been burning since 1962, and is precicted to burn for another 250 years. The Post Office revoked it's zip code. A concerned citizen offered to dig out the fire for $175 at the beginning. Bureaucracy inaction followed. Congress allocated over $42 million for relocation efforts in 1984.

Reply to
Wild_Bill