Fan Motor ID ?

Hey, a good customer of mine brought in an insertion blower fan unit for a wood stove which is non functional. Rather than pay another $200 plus to replace the whole blower unit (again, 3rd time), I would like to replace the 120v AC motor.

I've had a little difficulty tracking the thing down as the company (CFM) is gone.

The motor has a company logo on it which I can't ID. (Looks like "RU"?) Maybe someone could take a look at the snap I took and see if you may know the manufacturer.

Much obliged,

Spark

Reply to
Sparkey

On 1/12/2010 10:02 AM Sparkey spake thus:

"RU" (probably a backwards "R", right?) isn't a company, it's a regulatory agency, like UL. So that's no clue at all.

Chances are you're not going to be able to track down this particular motor from that manufacturer. But chances are also very good that you can find a replacement that will work. One place to look is Grainger

Another possible source is Reliable Parts
There are other sources out there as well.

You need to match the following:

o Motor size, obviously o Shaft size (length x dia.) + shape (round, flat, etc.) o Voltage (probably 120) o Rotation (CW or CCW) o Speed (close enough is close enough)

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Another thing, it may also be dual shaft.

I would also look in the surplus houses.

greg

Reply to
GregS

  1. Post a picture of the entire fan, not just the label.

  1. The RU (backwards R) is the underwriter's service mark for a component.

Reply to
PeterD

...underwriters....Learn something new every day....

I checked Grainger and reliable parts but this motor is smaller than the ones I saw. It's closer to the size of an AC table fan motor. 120 volt CW 2500 rpm

Here's a group of photo bucket pic's of this thing (squirrel cage too) maybe this will give you a better idea. appreciate your taking a look. :)

Spark

Reply to
Sparkey

On 1/13/2010 10:54 AM Sparkey spake thus:

What you got there, good buddy, is your regular old fractional-horsepower shaded-pole motor. Not likely to find that at Grainger or any other place selling new stuff. Better to look at the surplus vendors, like:

It'll take some wading through their (often badly-organized) pages, but I feel confident you'll find something close enough to work.

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Google shaded pole motor. Select image and look around. You may also be able to get the whole assembly making it easier to find a match.

Just click

greg

Reply to
GregS

That's a common shaded pole motor, used by the gazillion in household and kitchen appliances You might take your motor to an appliance parts store and see if they can match it to a commonly used motor. Alternatively, check out the motor at

and see if it will fit your blower. You'll need to measure the mounting centers and pattern on your motor and see if they match up. If you can match the mounting dimensions, check out the whole assembly at
It's not a direct match, but might be close enough that you could make it fit.

Also, if you can wire in a low voltage transformer or a DC power supply (as appropriate), you could go for a 12V or 24V version of your blower. Look at

David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net
Reply to
Dave M

re

check

..

as

ok at

?UID=3D1780011317531463&item=3D16=

-9...

You guys are awesome ! Thanks for all the info and links. Spark

Reply to
Sparkey

You have a "C-Frame Shaded Pole" motor. You will also need to measure the thickness of the stack of the laminations as that is part of the motor specs of shaded pole motors. Typical are 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", etc.

Ken Layton

On 1/14/2010 9:24 AM Ken Layton spake thus:

I wouldn't sweat the lamination thickness. If you find a motor that'll fit, it'll work. This is a non-critical application.

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sparkey Inscribed thus:

You can find that or a very similar motor in most small cheap fan heaters. I've just bought a new one and scrapped the old one (element OC ) the motor is very similar.

The link shows the new one. The old one is almost identical.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.