Thermal pad disintegrating

Back in the 70s they used Mica insulators, and coated them with silicone grease to transfer heat. Unless the installer cracked them during installation, they probably last forever.

I suppose they now came up with some cheap crap substance to save a buck. If I ran across this, I'd change all of them with the old mica types before more stuff burns up.

Reply to
oldschool

I have been using as a matter of preference materials from Bergquist for ro ughly 40 years, albeit in small quantities. Typical output-per-device is at /around 30+ watts. None have failed over dozens of amps at 4 - 20 pads each . Some caveats:

a) There are a LOT of counterfeits out there. Make sure what you use is fro m a reliable source. b) DO NOT reuse such pads. They will last 40+ years if left alone. But if r e-used, they could have micro-tears or punctures from the removal and re-ti ghtening. c) DO NOT use them if the heat-sink or substrate is not smooth and flat.The y are not grease that can be used in excess to fill such gaps. d) DO NOT use them with grease/heat-sink compound or any similar material. They can be incompatible.

They are pretty simple, pretty basic, inexpensive items with a single signi ficant virtue - they are not sloppy. So, compound on leads that interferes with soldering becomes a thing of the past (although that is easily control led with care at application). And there is no measuring issue.

I have also used these:

- only because they w ere OEM. They can be reused. Expensive. For a number of years, AR used them on their US-origin amps and receivers.

With all that in mind, I keep a small stash of Bergquist materials, mica & compound materials and some mica sheeting (also cheap and easy to find at a Jewelry Findings, stove or lamp supply) for unusual situations and/or appl ications. Such as adjustable mica caps on vintage radios. NOTE: Mica does n ot like to be drilled - better to punch it. And to make a small diameter mi ca punch, get a piece of brass tubing with the correct ID, and file it shar p. Punch onto something fairly hard but with some give - I have a piece of maple flooring that I use. You will get perhaps 4 holes and need to resharp en, but you will not flake the mica as you would with a drill. Very sharp t in-snips or professional fabric shears do a nice job of cutting the stuff.

Horses for Courses.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw