The newer flat PS2 why are they all broken ?

I get these in fairly often and 90% of them wont read any disks . Does anyone know if there is a general problem with these . I have had many many of the first PS2 and most of those worked or could be fixed . I am having no luck wit these flat jobs

Thanks

Reply to
Ken G.

Check capacitors

Reply to
gb

Seems like that is always the answer to anything broken : )

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I used to tell people they were abusing their ps2's by overheating them in cramped AV centers or blowing cigarette smoke in them, but I am slowly beginning to suspect that Sony just makes junky game machines. After all, what do you do if it breaks? You buy another one. And you can't blame them for balancing quality with service to maximize profit. They're a business, and business is not a place for idealists.

Mine crapped out after eleven months. It reads cd's but not dvd's. And I like to think I take very good care of my gear. I have an original ps2 that is still rocking like brand new. I have taken it apart once to blow the dust out of it.

I tried cracking open the new ps2 to look for the laser adjustments and couldn't find them, so I stuck it on a shelf for a rainy day.

Reply to
stickyfox

Well reported in IEEE Spectrum 2002 ... and surprise an HP computer that died (my nephews) had 12 bulging capacitors on the ABIT motherboard that HP used in this AMD based computer. Both MicroCenter and an HP service center could not figure it out (2 service trips) - so it sat in their basement - until I asked about it on my last visit..

How did I diagnose? (eyes and nose - no I am not kidding) Almost all of the green (Leton) capacitors on the motherboard were bulging and 3 had actually burst ... while the Panasonic capacitors on the board were fine.

It was a 4-layer board and after about one hour of bench time (removal of bad capacitors, clean crude from burst capacitors and install new Panasonic replacements) -- the computer booted right up and worked fine ! The power supply was okay -- shut down (self protect) when one capacitor had failed as a short.

Want someone else to repair your board?

gb

Reply to
gb