Test cable TV input signal strength?

I just made 3 16ft coax cable extensions that will run to 3 TVs (1 each) off of a cable that previously had only 2 TVs on it. I bought rg6 wire with crimp on connectors and 3 5-900MHz 2-way splittes for the connections. I noticed a little snow in the reception of the 2 TVs i ran off of the first 2-way splitter I installed. Could I use my analog multimeter to test the signal strength coming from the cable? If so then what should the signal stength be? The first splitter leads to 1 TV one way, and then the 4 other TVs. The second split will be to 1 TV, and 2 TVs Should I use better splitters? Do I need a signal amp? If so what do you recommend? This is the first time that I have run cable so I'm not totaly certain of what is best.

Reply to
psistormyamato

Get a 5 way splitter and use that. Use a Radio Shack amp if needs be - some have a built in splitter.

NSM

The 3 legs that I am running are far apart. I could use 3 lenghts of 16 ft wire with 3 splitters or well over 150 ft of wire with a 5-way.

Reply to
psistormyamato

Multiple splitters is a bad idea. The only other way is to run one cable and use taps and not splitters.

NSM

psistormyam: There is NO free lunch here. If you split the signal two ways, each television will get 1/2 of the original signal strength.... actually a little less than that due to losses. If you split it 3 ways then each television will get a little less than 1/3 of the original signal strength. Radio Shack sells a 4 way amplified splitter that compensates for the split and the losses. Each of the 4 outputs produces a slightly greater signal strength than the input. electricitym . ..

Reply to
electricitym

Reply to
Mike Berger

and no you cannot use a vom multimeter to measure the catv signal.

Mark

Reply to
Mark