Tektronix 7603

The old 7613 died. The power supply has a problem and I suspect something is shorted somewhere. So I ran across a 7603 on craigslist cheap, but with no plugins. So I figured there ya go, I don't have much use for mesh type storage anyway, in fact I think it was pretty much a waste of time, at least for my purposes.

So I figured there might be trouble when I got there, I expected to see a spot in or near the center of the screen but it was not. There was deflection without plugins, but at least it's not shorted out.

So I plug my plugins in ( care to rephrase that anyone ? ) and instead of a flat trace in the absence of vertical input I have a sawtooth. Changing the timebase only affects the trace slightly, through most ranges it is showing one cycle, only the slope changes. It seems obvious that the vertical deflection is polluted by the horizontal deflection, and without the plugins it was deflected by power supply ripple.

I downloaded the print from bama (the mirror site actually) and it is a typical Tektronix manual. Like I really needed a refresher on how a UJT works LOL. Of course it's useful in a sense but it doesn't really point me in any meaningful direction. Soon I am going to have to go hands on and just start taking the thing apart. Looking at the print I have suspects but don't know where anything is.

The point is I'd like to get in and out of this thing. I want the covers back on and it working without staying apart on the bench for a week. I am fairly sure it's going to be a filter either in the power supply or just after it somewhere. Could probably find it quick enough with a scope..... should I break out the old B&K ?

Mainly I'm looking for some pointers to make this a bit more painless. I wouldn't mind having the 7613 back up and running but this will do just fine. In fact, once this is up and running I wonder if anyone might be interested in the parts from the 7613. I don't even want to speculate on the price of the CRT, which is strong and burn free BTW. I'm thinking though for the furture alot of the 7613 parts should fit the 7603, or am I wrong about that ?

Any help or advice will be highly appreciated.

Jeff Urban

Jeff Urban schrieb:

Hi Jeff,

Ask for help in the VERY helpful "TekScopes" Yahoo group.

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

I do not care to join any more groups. This is sci.electronics.repair correct ? This is an electronic instrument I wish to repair.

I need another internet ID like a hole in the head, and let me tell you when I was in my twenties I got shot in the face, so I can assure you I don't need any more holes in my head. What is Usenet dead ? I know I am posting through Google but that's the only way I have right now. I was here a long time ago and if I could I would retrieve my old ID, but I can't.

S.E.R. is dead ? I have to go to yahoo ?

Sorry, I'll just sell the Tek. Fuck it.

Jeff Urban

This is the reason so many have left the group for greener pastures. They got tired of whiny jerks like you.

All you need is a Yahoo Email address to join any Yahoo group that will take you, but they aren't interested in pissing and moaning.

You aren't related to Bill Turner, by any chance? You bitch and whine just like he used to.

Michael A. Terrell