Tektronix 2430

Has anyone experienced a "no trigger" condition in a 2430. Scope fails on diag test 9300 /trigs/repet.

Reply to
Pete

one of the Tek specific hybrids has failed. I can't tell you right now from memory which. But see a 2430 service manual for the repair procedure and how to loacate the problem.

You might need a spare scope for parts or you can contact e.g. the parts sources in the web (see other Tektronix postings).

hth, Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Tekman

Yes. I have one :-( Functionally, the trigger on mine is intermittent, sometimes it seems to work a bit, other times no trigger whatever A or B.

Mine fails 9121 9122 9123 9221 9222 and 9300. (i.e. A passes, B fails, Rep fails.) It also sometimes takes hours to run the power-on test at all, it seems to get stuck in the trigger test (test part 9).

As Andreas says, the service manual gives details on looping failing tests and scoping what's going on. In my case one can see the (passing) A test doing its "binary search" converging to the correct trigger level, for both directions. When running B however the result of every step goes the same way, no convergence. The inputs to U370 look right to me, the output on pin 63 wrong.

Interestingly, I found a solder whisker short under the U370 socket (pins 14-15) but removing it didn't help. :-( Pin 14 is not shown on the schematic, so I assume it's unused.

I suspect U370, but haven't laid my hands on a replcement to try. (Is there anyone out there near Southampton with a working

2430, willing to do a test swap of U370 and/or U150? :-)

Take care to get adequate cooling if running with the case off. There are stories of people cooking the hybrid modules on the main board.

Regards, Mike.

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

u snipped-for-privacy@csi.com (Remove _ for valid address) wrote in news:slrnfp2g95.7v.u snipped-for-privacy@csi.com:

My coworker who worked on them at the Orlando TEK office used a 120VAC muffin fan to keep them cool while the cabinet was off.So,I guess those stories are believable.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik