Survival rates in computers with the eye on archiving.

but

out

"maybe

throwing

something

it

path

PS/2's

A neighbour of mine uses them as bird scarers in his front garden. Been doing it for perhaps 4 years. The ones closest to the road, at least, show obvious damage from oxidation of the metalisation, grey not silver and large patches where the metal has disappeared leaving just a dust or discoloured plastic, not seen close up as nearest is 4 foot from the road, so can't be sure on that point.

Which would suggest storing in a desicated or evacuated container for archiving of CDs

N Cook

"William R. Walsh" wrote in news:f79_i.198009$Fc.48114@attbi_s21:

Have you tried 'nuking' one in a microwave oven?

Avoid breathing the fumes produced.

Makes some interesting patterns. Makes data recovery 'difficult'.

I saw a picture on line somewhere. Someone had made lawn ornaments by threading thousands of CDs onto bent rods. Made interesting thick shapes of semi-transparent plastic.

Of course, the plastic IS recyclable and should be recycled.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap