Suggestions for dusk to dawn lighting

I'm waiting for burglarizating to become a thing.

Reply to
Andy Burns

then it's a sure bet they're stupid at burgling too

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Y'all can't be that dense.

They burgle as a business just like any other, with perhaps a bit of extra risk - which they work hard at minimizing. In the United State, the 'solve' rate is 9.3%, In England, about the same, with London being just 6%.

Making them pretty good at their business, and those not so good make up those crimes that are solved. And better than most small businesses, only half of which survive more than five years.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

a risk - which they work hard at minimizing. In the United State, the 'solv e' rate is 9.3%, In England, about the same, with London being just 6%.

those crimes that are solved. And better than most small businesses, only h alf of which survive more than five years.

Yeah, but if the burgle success rate is 9% (any given single event), and on e must burgle on a regular basis just to equal what any typical schmo makes at Micky D's (although I concede the hours are shorted), then the career b urglar is likely to be caught sooner rather than later, no matter how skill ed at burgling he is.

Actually, I don't really care about burglars or statistics, I just love any thread that I can use the verb burgle...

Reply to
John-Del

Valid quibbles. However, the reality is that only about 1/3 of burglaries a re reported. And the 'solves' tend to be in groups.

So, if a professional burgles one house per week (likely far less than that in reality), and the overall success rate is 91%, 0.91 x 300 = 5.25 year s before he will get caught - purely based on statistics. Somewhat longer i n London. 40% of burglaries are committed by "friends", family or acquainta nces.

Point is that the average burglar is a pro, does extensive research ahead o f the act, and is absolutely not looking for trouble. They don't walk into a neighborhood, pick a house at random and have-at. They will not be surpri sed by lights, bells, whistles, or much of anything else. They will be in a nd out of a house in less than 3 minutes, on average. They will emulate som ething that puts the average indifferent neighbor at ease - such as a refle ctive jumpsuit and clipboard. There was a robbery on the Main Line some tim e ago, where the team of burglars came in broad daylight, and while one gro up started to power-wash the house, the other group went inside and pretty much cleaned it out. They even put a "Power Washing Professionals" sign up at the curb. Another, two jumpsuited individuals went into the house with b right orange barrels with HazMat markings - and took out the goods inside t he barrels. Neither teams were caught - except on cameras. No faces. Go fig ure.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

are reported.

Citation? Seems hard to believe...

of the act, and is absolutely not looking for trouble. They don't walk int o a neighborhood, pick a house at random and have-at.

You must have a more high class burglar where you are Peter. Most of the o nes around here are pot heads looking for a quick score.

glars came in broad daylight, and while one group started to power-wash the house, the other group went inside and pretty much cleaned it out.

Yeah, we get those too, but most home burglaries are nowhere near as sophis ticated. To help your point, I'll venture that the average catch rate is f ar lower for the pro if you factor in the pot and crack heads who not only break down doors, but even do so when home owners are actually home and get caught in higher numbers.

Can I say "burgle" one more time??

Reply to
John-Del

Sorry, it varies by region, and I pulled my region and mis-applied it.

Nationally, about 41% are unreported.

ones around here are pot heads looking for a quick score.

We had a rash of burglaries near our summer house, and 'they' got our house . Turned out to be the estranged nephew of our neighbor, who was stupid eno ugh to leave mail addressed to him behind, and leave the swag - such as it was - at his aunt's house next door. We was caught, and in the process trie d to run from the State Police. Not a good idea. And, he was on meth. Throu gh him they found two meth-labs (relatively) nearby.

/

Very likely.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

But 'solve' meaning what? A super-quick judge, jury and sentencing? As oppo sed to investigators already having determined who's involved, when, where, but prosecutorsstaying mum and not yet bringing the case to court because of threats or interference by powerful well-connected leaders in business o r government. Like with the big diamond heist at Zaventum airport in Brusse ls, it could be for whatever reason (like using street-level suspects to id entify other ones, like major crime kingpins, larger crime rings involving corrupt or even foreign officials). This may go on for years before eventua l 'solving' occurs).

They talked about stuff like this on shows like 'Rockford Files', 'Matlock ' and 'Murder, She Wrote'. I get my stuff from 'the TV shows'. That's how to do it, right?

Reply to
bruce2bowser

'We?'

Reply to
bruce2bowser

e:

idents are at work or school. Most are well-scoped. Have you had poll-taker s, surveyors, solicitors for charity and various causes come to your door? Our township requires a license and picture-tag on a lanyard for such activ ities for that reason. Not that many comply.

ight on 24/7, or inside lights that stay on all night. Whatever is not what you do routinely will be spotted by a pro - and that is a signal for them. And, even timed lights that do not vary are a signal.

e on to the next victim. It is similar to running from a bear. I do not hav e to outrun the bear, just the person with me. I do not have to have an imp regnable house with super locks. Just be a bit more difficult than the guy next door.

has a habit of defending against just one type.

anksgiving and see what I can try.

stem installed in our home. My wife and I are both licensed carriers and an yone in our home that doesn't follow instructions to stop and drop *will* b e dropped anyway.

to have the lights come on when anyone approaches them for convenience rea sons I'll settle for dusk till dawn lighting.

On a moonless or overcast night, it's freaking dark and hard to see whether in the driveway, my front porch, or my back deck.

eral were bad out of the box as I recall), they don't last long enough to j ustify their existence. They also are finicky about both LED and CCFL lamp s.

res with something like this:

say midnight and leave the driveway lights on till morning. They are also compatible with CFL and LED lights, something most sensing detectors are no t. The last step would be to gut the electronics out of the fixtures I have (which are aluminum and otherwise in excellent shape) and hard wire them t hrough.

I ordered one of these to try:

This switch is better than the GE I linked to as it has a "solar time table " that will adjust the dusk and dawn switch times based on an internal char t using my location. It also will eliminate the need for a photo sensor. If it works as I hope, I'll get three more and replace the rest of the swit ches.

Reply to
John-Del