STRANGE VIDEO DRUM MOTOR PROBLEM

I have a late 1980s low end vcr (Sanwa - also badged L=F6gik, Orion, possibly Saisho etc) with an unusual problem. It came to me 'dead' - with the 1.25A fuse in the power supply open (not black). I replaced it and the thing seemed to work but soon I noticed that when you stop the tape, the thing unlaces as usual, but the drum motor does not switch off - it spins very fast, sounding like it's 'hunting'. The power/stby switch does not react either. If you put it into play when this hunting whine is going on, you get a distorted pic which clearly shows the drum's going too fast. So far i've yanked the plug to avoid further damage. Obviously this i pretty worthless, I'm just curious to see if anyone else recalls this problem and what causes it.

-B

I'm not familiar with your unit, but I'd guess that this might be caused by a defective mode switch. If so, many can be removed, cleaned and re-assembled.

Bob

-B

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bad mode switch might explain the oddities except for the blown fuse. I've replaced a butt load of mode switches once working for a Goldstar/Tatung/Matsushita/Sanyo factory authorized warranty center but don't recall a bad mode switch taking out a fuse.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It's also possible the two things are unrelated - sometimes fuses just go weak with age and a very small current hike can finish them off. the drum thing is more unusual though. -B

Dirty rail from a bad ESR cap, maybe ? Might be worth just running an ESR meter over all the ones in the PSU.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

last night I had another look at this. I cleaned the mode switch and no joy. it worked a short while, then once again again after pressing stop, the drum kept spinning wildly and couldn't be stopped. Strange thing was you could put it in and out of play (with a tearing fast pic)..After about a minute the drum stopped - and since then ain't come on again....looks like another for the scrapheap...

-B