Strange problem with Viewsonic E771

I received 2 of these from a buddy in hopes I could fix them. One of them had a squealing flyback so i swapped it out and now the pictures pulses, for lack of a better description. It stays in place growing slightly larger and brighter until the background turns gray at which time it starts the cycle over again--I would say each cycle takes 1/2 sec or less. Anyone have any tips on where to start looking for problems--I'm thinking bad caps but my ESR meter hasn't shown up yet :P

thanks as always!

Update:

still have pulsing and have checked all the caps with an ESR--no bad ones. Any ideas whatsoever? anyone?

for

and