SPL CRM1200-2 amplifier keeps blowing outputs

I hgave this car amplifier, it has a SMPS supply for each channel, using the classic TL494 and IRFZ44 design.

the outputs were shorted, and the IRF were blown apart. i replaced the outputs and the IRF, along with the gate drive resistors to the mosfets.

the amp functioned after that, and had no DC offset, amp was running reletively cool, and sounded nice. then the outputs shorted again out of nowhere and blew out the power suppl yagain.

so i replaced all those parts again, and this time i changed the drivers to the outputs on that channel.

it ran for 4 days working nicely, and bam, ouputs go again.

im at a loss, i dunno whats up. i checked all the resistors and transistors in that side of the amp. come up wiht nothing. :-(

Reply to
Mike

did you replace the TL494 ? sounds to me that it's running wild.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

no becuase the same TL494 runs both channels. there are 2 SMPS supplies, the smae TL494 runs both. the right channel is fine.

i just did some volt measurements. its about +/-45 on both channels. :-)

Reply to
Mike

to save your self some parts, replace the parts again only this time. get your self a couple of 200 watt incandescent lamps, series the power throw them on that one channel and let it sit on the bench and run for a bit. Allow the unit to short. the bulbs will absorb the current and not burn out your components while you can probe in to see where the short is talking place.

It's possible you may have an oscillation channel or maybe your output is getting shorted in the car?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Further information is needed.

On car amps, you have to know the EXACT load. I have seen too many times units loaded down below there recommended specs. CUstomers don't have a clue a lot of the time. Or bridging amps when they should not be. Or hooking up a working amp to speakers that are damaged. You need the woofers box in to verify the load and verify the voice coils are ok and not rubbing.

Things to look for: mica insulators on the amps that are damaged. I have seen torroids that are intermittently shorted from primary to secondary. Filter caps that break off a Leeds on the pc board from mechanical fatigue of the amp vibrating it. The list goes on.

Also, check the car for good power and ground. I cannot count the times i have seen an amp in the truck with the ground wires stuck under the trunk hinge or such with no good mechanical connection. Or the hot wire jammed into the battery connector up front.

Bob

Bob Urz

ok the speakres are pioneer 450watt 12s they are brand new, and are rated 4 ohms.

the amp says its stable to 2 ohms, but i doubt it.

i replaced the parts and am testing it on my bench, everything appears normal.

the quesent current for each channel is drawing about an amp or so.

i think the amp had this problem before my buddy got it, becuase when my buddy got it, the left channel was blown already. it just blew again twice. so its definatly internal.

the rails on th eleft and right channel are holding steady at about +/- 45v

but at peak load ive seen the power supply draw around 15 to 20 amps. weee lots of current.

as for the car, the amp is bolted on the back of the speakerbox. the speakerbox is a bandpass box that that has 2 speakers, one hooked to each channel. the speaker that was hooked to the channel that blew, the coil is burned up from the DC before the power supply blew on the left channel, so he had to replace that speaker

Reply to
Mike