Sound on my new radio is muffled.

Absolutely incomprehensible. I suppose it would have been too expensive for them to post a picture of the things ACTUALLY IN USE WITH A HUMAN EAR...

Reply to
The Real Bev

No. I don't think so.

Interesting.

Well, here is the end of the first chapter:

I'm still going to talk to the manufacturer about what equalizer settings work best, or any physical improvement like changing the speakers, or stuffing with foam,

but two nights ago I bought a patch cable for the L & R Line OUts that plugs into the AUX on the rdio above it, and now the sound is pretty good, certainly good enough for me (who has a tin ear which is why it's surprising this radio wasn't good enough for me.) The cable merges L & R so even though I paid extra for stereo speakers, it's monaural.

In addition, this means I can leave the internet radio on all night, with the sound turned down to zero, and use the Sleep function of the second radio, so it will turn off after an hour or two. On the internet radio, the Sleep function** disables almost all the controls and doesn't let me watch the name of the songs being played or see the graphic that comes with each station or each song. That's just entertaining enough to keep my attention but not enough to keep me awake. **It just displays the time, which is boring.

The second radio, the Sangean WR-22, has very little tone control, but I pressed a button my mistake and found that 3 years ago when I got it, I had set the bass to -3 and the treble to +1. Simple, small changes, and I've been happy with that.

Back to the internet radio using its own speakers, I've only played a few songs. The music is probably okay, but the lyrics are muffled, muddled, or muddy. So even they are better through the other radio.

I know I'm not following the advice of people who said to send it back but I didn't find a better replacement, also with presets. Maybe there is one but I'm tired of looking.

Thanks all. I couldn't have done it withou' you.

Reply to
micky

At least there is some. :-) I may have a second thread coming and I'll include them.

Reply to
micky

Wonder if polarity is reversed on one channel of your original source?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I know but I checked and I was right. This one doesn't have it.

Reply to
micky

If you have "Radio" preset, then use it. It is close to "Telephone", but "Telephone" cuts out both the high and low frequencies. It's perfect for listening to human voice.

These are the screen grabs of the equalizer in my computer. I have posted them to a free image hosting site:

"Telephone" preset:

"Radio" preset:

invalid unparseable

Exactly!!! Send it back and get a new one. With all this dancing around with various connection configurations (some of which raise more questions than answers), you could have been enjoying another radio or found a better alternative. If you send it back, the supplier will never tell you what 'problems' the device had. Their easy soln is to send you a new one. I suggest making some sort of mark on the original unit (in a very inconspicuous place) so you can determine if they sent the original radio back to you or a different unit. (I've personally experienced this).

IMHO, trying to connect the audio to an external speaker via BT is a crap shoot. A lot of BT devices have lousy implementations....won't pair with some devices, spins forever when attempting to make a connection, dropped connections, the reconnect feature doesn't work, lossy audio, etc. If I am troubleshooting an audio problem, nothing beats a hardwired connection.

Reply to
three_jeeps

I am watching this conversation with increasing sadness, consternation and amazement. As a collector of things-radio for a very long time, I have examples from 1919 through 2007, including coffin-box home-brews to $5.99 WalMart hand-held portables (by the washer/dryer for my wife to use). Gems include a Zenith shutter/robot dial, a Grundig Satellit 700, & YB-500, GE super-radio and others. Countries-of-origin include Czechoslovakia, Turkey (!), Russia, Portugal, France, England, Russia, Germany, US, China, Japan and others.

Given that I have sufficient grounds for comparison - anything that sounded "muffled", especially purchased new, would be unceremoniously returned to the seller without delay. Life is simply too short for that noise.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

On 22 Sep 2023 18:36:58 GMT, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

+1 Good one!
Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

On 22 Sep 2023 23:00:58 GMT, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

It's what between them?

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

Why do people purchase "Internet Radios"? If you have a smartphone, laptop, or desktop you already own a beyond fully featured "Internet Radio" that you can update or tweak to always ensure that it will work.

Reply to
Mike Mocha