sony protector error

upon power-up, my sony str-d1015 receiver goes into protect mode. i checked all speaker connections and all checked out ok. i followed the advice of another member who had the same problem and found part # stk350-230 to be at fault. i purchased IC stk350-230 from mcm and want to install it but, i can't see how to release the old part. it seems to have a plastic hold-down (or shield) around it holding it in place. can anyone help me? thanks. jim

Reply to
Jim

Hey Jim,

Sounds to me like the part is held in place by a IC holder. Most of these are solderless so that the IC should just pop right out. They sometimes can be in there real good.

Have you tried wailing on the chip? Maybe a quick spray of electro-contact cleaner may convince it to come out easier.

If this doesn't work, go to Radio Shack. Buy a cheap soldering Iron, and some solder and some flux and some solder wick. And go about taking it out the old fashion way. And remember, sometimes if you want to get rid of solder, you have to use more solder.

Chriswill

Reply to
chriswill

Hey Jim,

Sounds to me like the part is held in place by a IC holder. Most of these are solderless so that the IC should just pop right out. They sometimes can be in there real good.

Have you tried wailing on the chip? Maybe a quick spray of electro-contact cleaner may convince it to come out easier.

If this doesn't work, go to Radio Shack. Buy a cheap soldering Iron, and some solder and some flux and some solder wick. And go about taking it out the old fashion way. And remember, sometimes if you want to get rid of solder, you have to use more solder.

Chriswill

Reply to
chriswill

Before replacing ANY chips on the hot running SONY's, ALL suspicious solder connections around the output stage should be redone and then the unit checked again before replacing any parts. SOmetimes is just the solder connections.

Bob

Bob Urz

"Jim" wrote in news:1156835668.999528.179630 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

From the subject line, I thought, "Gee is Sony making pocket protectors now? And do they give error codes?" (c:)