Sony Monitor GDMFW-900 Noise / Screen Dropout

Hi All:

I have recently resurrected a Sony 24" GDMFW-900 computer monitor from the trash. It was in bad shape with regards to being full of dirt & debris ( & spilled beer ). It has been working fine for the most part over the last month or so. It has one anomalie that concerns me. Every once in a while, I will hear a light 'crack' noise. At that same instant, the picture collapses for just a brief second. It comes right back on and continues working as if nothing has happened. I've only wittnessed this about 6 times since I got the monitor running. But it happened twice in one day recently. As such, I'm sure that whatever is happening is going to get worse. One time only I noticed that there were a few errant single pixel high horizontal lines that dashed around the screen immediately before it cracked / collapsed. Again, it was fine afterwards.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Anything preventive that can be done to save the set before it blows up a bunch 'o parts? If I took this into a shop, it might have to run continuously for a week before the problem would show. And then it might only happen once for another week or two. I'd like to nip this in the bud if possible. Thanks for any thoughts & suggestions.

Bob bobkos at earthlink dot net

Reply to
Bob Kos

It sounds like the CRT is arcing. It could be inside the CRT, or it could be from the anode connector, or CRT socket. Since there was a lot of dirt in it, this is particularly likely. Did you disconnect the anode connector from the CRT? Any dirt under this can cause arcing. Make sure the CRT socket is clean and clean under the anode connector and the CRT near the anode connection with alcohol.

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Hi Andy:

Thanks for the reply. I did have the anode connection off when I went through this monitor. I don't recall the tube socket or anode connection being particularly dirty. I also don't specifically recall having cleaned anything up in that area. I will take it apart and have a look-see. Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Bob Kos