Sony Betamax VCR SL-S600 Dead Capstan Motor Help

I have a Sony Betamax VCR Model # Sl-S600 that has a dead capstan motor. Everything else is working. The unit loads the cassette and loads the tape around the head drum. the head motor is turning also. It has a nine pin connector on the capstan motor. I am getting what looks like the correct voltages except pin 3 and pin 9 are zero volts. I don't have a manual on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
estate25

turning

appreciated.

Is it a motor and tacho ? so no tacho output

N_Cook

I've seen a lot of Sony Beta VCRs with a bad hall effect sensor on the capstan motor board. It's the little 4 pin device that looks like a transistor that is positioned near the spinning rotor. It detects the rotation of the motor so the driver IC can switch the coils at the correct time. I've had some success replacing these with ones salvaged from other scrap VCR motors (drum motors, or capstan motors usually contain one or two). Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Broken end-of tape sensor? It's a little coil that swings around and nearly contacts the tape. Capstan motor won't run unless the coils for tape end and tape beginning are (nearly) touching the tape.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Thanks for the replies on this one. The end of tape sensor looks to be OK and working. I was thinking about changing the hall effect sensor. I will see if I have one in the bone yard that will work. This model is a little newer than the ones I have here so I may not have one that will fit. Worth a try! Thanks!

Reply to
estate25

If that was the problem, it wouldn't go into play at all. Also FF wouldn't work.

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

That's what I get for reading these things at 5:00 in the morning...

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I finally tried a hall effect sensor from a sl-hf300 but it was a little different than the newer style that is on the sl-s600 but it did not work. I am going to give up on this one. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Reply to
estate25