SODIMM Socket - Which Pins are Chip Select?

This question pertains to a Sony GRX560 notebook computer with a defective SODIMM socket.

The condition only affects chip select (chip present?) at boot time. Specifically, in order for the system BIOS to scan the installed memory module, external downward pressure must be exerted on the module ONLY DURING BOOT. Once the machine starts loading the OS, the module can be left alone. PC continues to operate fine until next power off/on, at which time the RAM module is not found unless downward pressure is exerted on it during boot only.

Once the system is booted, it continues to run without incident and is able to utilize the installed RAM.

This sounds like a poor connection with perhaps as few as one pin connection.

My question is, on this 200-pin SODIMM socket, which pin carries the "chip present" signal to the system mainboard?

There are simply too many pins for me to focus on all at once, but if I can narrow down to the specific pin, perhaps I can effect a repair by bending that pin outward a bit, or inserting a microscopic sliver behind it to add spring tension to it.

Ultimate solution is to replace socket, which I would like to avoid, if at all possible, due to the difficulty involved with SMD rework.

Any information on the pin functions of the socket?

-- Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

There's no "chip present, per se.

A datasheet is worth a thousand words:

My guesses? Pins 195, 197, 198, 199, 200. Used for SPD functions during a power up.

Reply to
JW

"chip

Thanks for the data sheet. I too happened across a similar sheet for a different module, but same pinouts. These are the pins I suspected, but I needed confirmation that they are indeed used only at boot time.

The symptom is a failure to detect both modules, unless someone presses on the #1 module at POST/Boot time. Once past POST, the module can be let go of, and the system will continue to run and use the RAM. Whatever it is, it's only needed during POST and then not used, hence the broken connection does not matter after that.

-- Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Like I said, those would be the most likely candidates, they're only used at power up to set memory timing. Any other pins would cause memory failures/crashes.

Reply to
JW

on

connection

Thank you for confirming the affected pins.

I am going to open 'er up again this weekend and try retensioning those pins, and also double-checking the soldering quality on the PCB that connects to those pins.

-- Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at:

Business sites at:

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss