sluggish remote control if you haven't used it for a day or two?

[snip]

earning remotes work well and are cheap

30 years ago I knew someone with an RCA TV where the remote failed, and a new one cost about $70. RCA (then) did something strange with the volume buttons so you couldn't use a $10 universal remote.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes, some mfg remote have better longevity than the others. Taking apart the remote control and cleaning the button sheet and the circuit board with alcohol (rubbing@70% or 90%) will remove the oils. The remote should then operate normally. Don't scrub the circuit board - gently wipe it with a antistatic wipe dipped in alcohol. If really in a pinch, a cotton swab/ball will work. Get used to doing this - I have several remotes that require this cleaning process every 1-3 years, depending on the remote. At some point in the life of the remote, the conductive coating on the silicon pad keys will erode away and that key function will no longer work. The contact material can be reapplied but since making a contact is a mechanical function, the material will erode again. Good luck J

Reply to
three_jeeps

I have not seen this happen to kitchen utensils. I have seen it happen to car radio head units, car climate control centers, and hand tools. I don't know of anyway to stop the process or clean up the mess.

Reply to
three_jeeps

Yes indeed. Thanks Charlie+ I put it in my Amazon shopping cart for next time I order things, although it's about $9 or 10 there and $5 or 6 other places with shipping. I've found other places to be reliable, although harder to r eturn, but I almost never return anything and I don't know why I'd return this, so I'm asking myself, Why do I even consider buying from Amazon.

I had a long term plan to compare the 3-digit device codes that come in various instruction to see if at least they are the same. But I'll never get around to do doing the compare.

Reply to
micky