Slightly odd output stage configuration. Thoughts ?

I own a 1975 PV Artist 1x15". I bought it back in the mid 80's. PV didn't deviate much from this design in their later years. I also own a PV MX - VTX 1x12". Again not much change as for PV the apple never seems to fall far from the tree.

My current guitar amp config is a PV Tube Fex FX/stereo preamp into a Studiomaster 700D. That sits on top a PV 4x12" cabinet wired in stereo. Two stock PV 12's and two Jackson (red cone) 12's. I got the cabinet for a song and a dance and it sounds as good as any Marshall 1960 cabinet I've ever played through.

Meat Plow

"Charles the Fuckwit autistic Puke "

** Bollocks - I just shot your pointy head right off.

There was absolutely nothing inside but shit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So, today, I did the mods that the customer was asking for. The value and type of a coupling cap in the overdrive channel was changed. The input circuitry was stripped and simplified to standard Fender style - i.e. a 68k series resistor from input jack to the grid of the first 12AX7, and a 1M grid return to deck. The fixed negative bias to the grids of the output tubes was disconnected, and the injection point decked, and the cathodes were lifted from deck and returned instead via a 100 ohm 4 watt resistor, bypassed by 100uF.

I also put an additional 1 ohm resistor in the cathode path, so that I was able to measure the idle current of the output stage. This settled at about

130mA, or just over 30mA per tube, which was exactly what the author of the mod notes suggested it should be.

I have to say that after carrying out these mods, the amp did seem to have a much 'smoother' more Fender-like sound, and was still capable of producing pretty much its full normal output of around 30 watts. I do not have a sufficiently 'musical' ear to know if the revised sound is what the owner is looking for, but it did seem to have a very sweet sound, to me. He is picking it up tomorrow morning, so I guess I should know if he's happy with it, in fairly short order ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Tone, the sometimes elusive prey in a jungle of equipment. That's what it all boils down to. My favorite of all time combo amps is the Ampeg VT-22 loaded with a pair of Altec-Lansing 12's. It was my first 100 watter combo back in the late 70's. If you think a Twin loaded with a pair of EV SRO's is heavy lift a VT-22 with the Altecs loaded. I ended up trading it for a 1x15 PV Artist combo around 1982. Still have that old beast.

I'm currently restoring a 1960's Ampeg Jet12. Uses a PP pair of EL84's for output so it's around 15 watts. Someone has replaced the original

12" Ampeg speaker with a Vox. It's not much to look at but it's one of those amps that are known for their tone. I've owned it for a decade. One of those projects you eventually get to.

Hope your customer likes the mods.

Meat Plow

We all agree.

Meat Plow

He does. See my other post

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That looks like a nice collection of gear.. but what do you do when you want some volume?

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Wild_Bill"

** Piss off - you stinking FUCKWIT TROLL
Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm really disappointed with your terse reply, maybe you could elaborate.

I'm not the one repeatedly posting witless and senseless reactions to other generally well-meaning posts.. that's only you.

While you're studying the usenet etiquette guidelines, and stating/spouting the references, you might see some suggestions wrt your everyday posting habits.

Eat shit 'n die, Phil.. you don't matter.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Designer watches, handbags discount prices PayPal

Reply to
Wild_Bill

LOL!

Meat Plow

These may help..

Or, eBag item # 330463361907

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Believe or not, there is a reason to have a lot of headroom in a SS guitar amp. I get all my sustain and crunch from the PV Tube Fex's 2 x

12AX7's. I've had several multi-fx units but that one even though its a decade or more old beats them all hands down.
Meat Plow