Silencing noisy 40 year old sychronous clock motor

I have an old Seth Thomas mechanical digital clock with a Pennewood Numechron stator and coil type sychronous motor. The gear train is quite noisy, no doubt the result of wear. A bit of lubrication might help, but the gear train is sealed. I'm wondering if anyone has a remedy for this, or knows of a source for a replacement motor.

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

te

s,

Very carefully drill a very tiny hole in the metal case. Be careful not to go thru the hole into the gears. THen force some 3-1 oil inot the gearbox. If you have to, gently heat the mtor, place some oil over the hole and then when the case cools it will suck the oil back into the gear case. It may take several attempts to get the oil in. You could also try wd-40 under pressure into the gears. I have done this on a number of old clocks that people wanted to keep running.

BOb Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Very carefully drill a very tiny hole in the metal case. Be careful not to go thru the hole into the gears. THen force some 3-1 oil inot the gearbox. If you have to, gently heat the mtor, place some oil over the hole and then when the case cools it will suck the oil back into the gear case. It may take several attempts to get the oil in. You could also try wd-40 under pressure into the gears. I have done this on a number of old clocks that people wanted to keep running.

BOb Hofmann

Thanks for the suggestion Bob, I'll give it a try!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Very carefully drill a very tiny hole in the metal case. Be careful not to go thru the hole into the gears. THen force some 3-1 oil inot the gearbox. If you have to, gently heat the mtor, place some oil over the hole and then when the case cools it will suck the oil back into the gear case. It may take several attempts to get the oil in. You could also try wd-40 under pressure into the gears. I have done this on a number of old clocks that people wanted to keep running.

BOb Hofmann

'scuze my horological ignorance , but how do you drill into a case without generating and leaving swarf inside the case, that is presumably there to keep crud out ?

-- General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Reply to
N_Cook

Neither 3 in 1 or WD40 are decent lubricants. Both contain other chemicals for specific purposes. WD40 especially is designed to dry out leaving a sort of waxy coating. Best to use an oil designed for the purpose.

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

If he can rig up or has access to a small vacuum chamber, he can put the motor in a container filled with oil into the chamber, pull a vacuum [let it sit for a while in the vacuum], then release the vacuum and let it sit for a while, the air pressure should force the oil into the motor 'vacuum impregnating' it.

He may not even need to drill a hole in the case if he uses this method.

Here is a way to build your own vacuum chamber

bz

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

Please don't encourage people to use 3-in-1 varnish^W oil in anything more delicate than a rusty chain saw. Where decent fine oil is needed in small mechanisms, Singer sewing machine oil is good. Recommended to me in service training by a major service organization in the late sixties and never caused a problem since.

--
Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you\'re not supposed to know this.