semi-OT: repairing the rear-window defroster

It seems to me the people in this group might have some insight into this problem, as it is not unrelated to the problem of repairing board traces.

When I recently bought a car, the dealership stuck the temporary plate on the inside of the rear window with Magic Mending tape. * When I removed the plate, I could see pieces of the defogger traces stuck to the tape.

Not surprisingly, those lines of the defogger no longer work. **

I'm going to complain to Ford, then to the dealer. In the meantime... Does anyone know of a way to fix these breaks "invisibly"? I'm willing to do it with a low-resistance paint, but would prefer to use paint that matches the resistivity of the original striping.

Thanks in advance.

  • Cars no longer have plate holders. And the temp plate is cardboard, anyway.

** My last car, purchased 20 years ago, had the same problem, and for probably the same reason.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Car accessory shops sell silver loaded paint for this very purpose.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

or copper loaded paint.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ah - never seen that in the UK. Wouldn't the copper be more likely to oxidise and lose the connection to the original track?

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can\'t shoot at them?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They make a liquid specific for this kind of repair.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I appreciate the responses.

I want to clarify a point... If you use a low-resistivity paint, the repaired section doesn't dissipate much heat, and you have small areas that don't defrost. This is more of an aesthetic than practical consideration, of course.

I'll check a parts store ASAP. Thanks again.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I don't know,but the defroster track repair paints I've seen were all copper colored. Perhaps the copper underneath where the connection is would not be exposed to O2,only the surface.

silver oxidizes readily,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

avenoise.co.uk:

.

If you put the paint on fairly thinly, there is enough resistance that the repaired sections also head up.

Reply to
hrhofmann

On a new car? Yikes!

Reply to