self-charging backup battery

I have a 1980 device (HP2621a terminal) with a now discontinued battery which retained settings while off. I am wondering if there isn't ome sort of continuously recharging (when on) battery that could replace this?

Also, for fiber optic telephonebackup as, thanks to Murphy's Law, the batteries are never functional when there is an actual power outage.

Reply to
vjp2.at

Walmart actually sells 12v rechargeable batteries for Verizon Fios. Can I both use and charge the battery? I've done such things, just trying it, and suspect it would.

Reply to
vjp2.at

It seems what I am really seeking is a simplified UPS??

Reply to
vjp2.at

You would need to add a charging circuit to make that work. If you just want to get it working:

  1. Kindly disclose the discontinued battery voltage and part number.
  2. Install a lithium (not Li-Ion) battery as used in some smoke alarms. Select the number of cells in series to be slightly more than the rated voltage of the discontinued battery. Button cells, such as CR2032 will work, but will not last as long as larger cells.
  3. Install whatever number of series silicon diodes are necessary to reduce the battery voltage down to what makes the terminal happy. About 0.6V per cell.
  4. Find a place to mount the battery pack inside the terminal.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann