sattelite phones and server rooms

Hi,

I recently came accross this scenario and wondered if any one had any thoughts on this subject

Could a sattellite phone cause damage in a server room?

Thanks

Reply to
xewill0155

Most servers and networking equipment have been tested for EMI at RF levels far stronger than a satellite phone, so I doubt that damage would be an issue. Of course the phone wouldn't work inside the room...but that is a different issue.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

We had a SAN that lost its array config after a change was being written to its memory. we later found out that 5 meters away someone was turning a sat phone off and on trying to get a signal ..

We have no explanation for the failure of the SAN at this time. Does anyone one know what the issue with Phones in hospitals/ aricraft is ?

Reply to
xewill0155

The issue with hospitals is that there is a possibility that some of the equipment may not have been adequately hardened (or tested) for use in an RF-rich environment. With aircraft there is always the possibility of interference with navigation or communications receivers. However, in my experience the avionics-grade communications equipment aboard modern airliners isn't subject to interference from properly operating FCC-type accepted hand held transmitters.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Planes also fly well if properly opperating.

How about also, the sparks from RF devices across items in the vicinity.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I was a Main frame computer OP back in the late 70's thru the 90's. IBM and STK all advised against using any RF in the area of disk drives... I almost got fired one night because I brought in an RC car and was running it around the computer room!!!

Reply to
Bob in PHX