SANYO TV, non-electronic replacement parts

Hi, I have found without a trouble places to get the boards, electronic replacement parts, etc... but I am having problems with non-electronic replacement parts... like knobs/buttons.

What I need now is a set of push buttons (a single plastic piece) in 27" SANYO stereo TV (model# DS27430, serial# V4230484400222).

They are broken beyond the repair - tried to glue them, but it did not work nice. It would be great if I could find a place to get a new (or at least not broken) row of push buttons...

This is how do they look now:

You can see two missing and the most right one I tried to glue, but it did not stick well... and broke again.

Anybody could help me getting such a thing from SANYO ?

Cheers, Pszemol.

Reply to
Pszemol

Did you use the right glue and not something totally inappropriate, like super glue (cyanoacrylate) or epoxy, which don't stick well to ABS plastic? MEK or lacquer thinner, even carburetor spray, are good for ABS, styrene, and PVC.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I had no idea what kind of plastic it is... Yes, I used epoxy. But this is not the point - some parts of this push button assembly are damaged more than any glueing can help - they are bent and some small pieces are lost.

Any idea where can I get a replacement ? Was this part commonly used in all flat screen CRTs by SANYO ?

Anybody here with an ability to order such part for me at Sanyo ? I will pay you for the trouble on top of what the small plastic part is worth.

Reply to
Pszemol

That's not nearly as bad as super glue since epoxy can at least be removed completely.

With scraps of ABS (from a junked TV, VCR, or DVD player cabinet) and one of those solvents I mentioned, about any ABS part can be made completely functional again. You could also make them from nylon, but you'll have to melt the pieces together with a soldering iron since nylon can't be glued. I've even fixed gears in old mechanical tuners this way.

Have you tried Sanyo parts? They're sometimes cheaper than anyone else. Otherwise try to find another similar Sanyo that's been junked.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I am not that artisticaly talented as you :-)

No, I have not tried Sanyo parts... how to do it? I tried to e-mail sanyo support but the snipped-for-privacy@sanyotv.com bounced back with an error

Sometimes I wish I knew some places similar to car junkyards but full with electronic devices opened to the public to salvage some rare parts from... Do you know any tv-junk-yards ??? :-)))

Reply to
Pszemol

I've actually hand molded replacement parts out of two part epoxy - but wouldn't do it now.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I've had good luck fixing parts like that with silicone sealant. It's flexible enough so that you can glue the buttons to the cabinet and allow the buttons to still work. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Believe me, I have absolutely no artistic ability, but that's not a problem with ABS because when I make a mistake, I can dissolve more scrap ABS into it and start over.

and
may be good starting places. They list Tritronics and PacParts. I used Tritronics several years ago without problem. Sears parts can sometimes be useful because they have several exploded parts diagrams to let you find the exact part description or number. Also some libraries have Sams (not Sam's) Photofacts, sometimes online).

an error

E-mail is often the worst way to get a response.

Dumpsters of TV repair shops, apartment complexes (occupants tend to move more often than homeowners are), college dorms. Maybe pick up a CRT computer monitor for free (people are dumping them) and trade it for a TV through Craig's List.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Part # 610 245 5816 , call Sanyo at 800-877-5032 to try and order it.

They may not sell to you unless you are an authorized Sanyo servicer, in which case you need to contact your nearest authorized servicer and see if they will sell it to you, at significant markup of course.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Thank you everybody - I have located that part in two places now so I will try to order it.

Thanks again - you are very helpful bunch!

Reply to
Pszemol

Yeah, they're called thrifts.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Don't they keep only "working condition" stuff there for the "end user" purchase? I was rather talking about not-working stuff, something I could pull a part and pay $3 bucks for it, like for a piece of dashboard trim for my toyota at junkyard instead of $83 at toyota dealership ;-)

Reply to
Pszemol

You can ask them for their duds. It costs them to dump them.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson