Samsung LA19R71B not accepting antenna input

The Samsung LA19R71B is a 19" LCD TV. I was using it with the RF output of my Commodore C64C. Channel search works but no channels are detected.

Reply to
Lucifer

For the C64, make sure the tuner in the TV is set to OTA (over the air) and NOT to CATV (cable television).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

I will check that but it was working with the Samsung. The C64C works with a different TV and the Samsung will not detect the output of an analogue TV modulator.

Reply to
Lucifer

That actually won't matter. 2-13 on CATV or analog OTA are the same freque ncies assuming he's looking for channel 3 or 4 which just about every modul ator in the U.S. used. If the modulator's output was in the UHF band, then selecting OTA instead of CATV would be necessary.

Probably has a bad tuner.

Reply to
John-Del

Oops, your right. Bad guess(tm): "CATV FREQUENCY ASSIGNMENT"

Maybe. It would be nice to know what "Channel search works" really means. Does it find and display any other OTA stations? If it does find and display other stations, then the tuner is not broken.

Try MANUALLY saving whatever channel the C64 video modulator is allegedly producing. Be sure to select "Air Channel Mode". Instructions are on Pg 10 of the user manual: It might be helpful to know what country you are in. Bigpond.com is in Australia, so you would set the "color system" to PAL (or AUTO). If you still can't get a picture with everything set manually, and the C64 works on other TV's, and the Channel Scan does NOT find other OTA stations, then your tuner is broken.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Could still be a bad tuner. Since the dawn of time (or at least the dawn of TV), we've seen plenty of tuners that would work on one band, but not on o thers. Before cable boxes, we'd see plenty of tuners that had no 2 to 6 (V HF low), no 7-13 (VHF hi), or no mid band or high band CATV (can no longer remember the line of demarcation of the those), or UHF. Today, we add digi tal OTA functions to the legacy bands.

So even if he scanned OTA with a cheap antenna and received one or two digi tal TV channels, it still wouldn't prove his tuner was OK.

BUT, if his modulator works on any low band VHF channel, he can enter the number manually as you suggest if he has a remote, or if the menu allows it (doubtful on newer TVs).

Reply to
John-Del

maybe the new samsung is using a fancy algorithm where instead of just looking for an RF signal it is looking for sync, or maybe it is looking for only ATSC signals now.

In any case, try manual config or connect another ch 3 source to the samsung that it can find.

mark

Reply to
makolber