Samsung HDTV/DLP blows bulbs

50-inch Samsung model HLN507W had it's bulb replaced by a service tech from the local shop. Replacement lasted a 1 day.

Anyone have experience with this model? What should I suspect is causing bulbs to burn out? A common problem?

Are there troubleshooting or service docs available on-line?

Thanks, Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Maybe a problem with the ballast or something to do with the airflow/cooling. Call the tech and have him fix the cause as well as a new bulb. The bulb should be under warranty but expect to pay more if there is an additional problem.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Your tech should have checked the voltage at the bulb socket. If not get them to check it before replacing bulb. Sounds like an over voltage or voltage surge problem.

Reply to
tez

bad ballast ? We just replaced a Lamp&ballast today at work because of a bad ballast over voltaging and burning out the lamp. Normally you may detect extra brightness abilities before it goes out. Now the lamp we replaced today was used just for over head lighting how ever, these lamps are the same technology used in DLP rear projection.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

The service manuals from the manufactures are not free of charge. They are copyright material. Some manufactures will not sell service manuals to non authorzed service reps.

The common causes of the pre-mature blowing of projector lamps is improper cooling, or the power supply is out of specs.This should be properly checked by a service tech who is familiar with the unit and has the proper service information to take reference with.

It is possible that the lamp you bought may have been defective from new. We've also seen that before.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

How do you know its the bulb this time ? unless it shattered inside . Samsung usually has a good reputation for bulbs lasting .

Reply to
Ken G.

I freely admit knowing nothing about DLP other than it has a high intensity lamp and a rotating color wheel :) Is the lamp incandescent like a Halogen or some other technology hence requiring a ballast of some sorts.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Checking the voltage won't reveal anything, it may however destroy the meter from the starting pulses. HID lamps are current driven, the lamp voltage will settle at whatever the particular lamp likes, the current you force through it determines the wattage the lamp runs.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's a compact metal halide or super high pressure mercury vapor lamp. Both are discharge lamps requiring an electronic ballast.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank You.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

And if it did shatter, this may have also been due to improper handling during installation.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: