replacement transistor 4 dc converter???

I have a vfd game that I am trying to fix, I found a blown 2sd882 npn transistor in the dc - dc converter but an exact replacement is not easily obtainable, I tried a tip31 but from what I can tell with my multimeter and limited knowledge it is not oscillating, I only surmise this by the fact that the game still does not function at all and it is trying to draw a very high current, I have a current limiting power supply so I can safely try it out still, anyhow if the transistor is turned on all the time it provides a constant short circuit so I presume it is suppose to oscillate. The game runs from 6v dc. I can find not other obvious fault. Can someone please suggest a suitable transistor, with my limited knowledge I have been unable to determine anything other than a tip31.

superdvd

Hello,

Could you please clarify the part number? You have 2SD882 in the text and a link to a 2SD288 below.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

They've got 2SD288 for $4.99 at

Goldmine for old Jap transistors

Reply to
Dave

"superdvd" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@clear.net.nz:

The NTE cross-reference says you can replace it with an NTE196:

Jim Land

Jim Land wrote in news:Xns983B95744975DRrrrFfffTttt4396hotm@216.168.3.44:

Clarification:

The 2SD288 can be replaced with an NTE196

The 2SD882 can be replaced with an NTE184

Reply to
Jim Land

easily

and

very

it

provides a

knowledge

Sorry, that was real helpful of me wasn't it, it was the 882 I was after.

Reply to
superdvd

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
superdvd

Note that the TIP31 (BCE) has a different pinout from the 2SD288 (ECB).

The higher saturation voltage of the TIP31 will make it dissipate more power making the supply less efficient, while the lower gain may make the circuit fail to work altogether.

The 2SD288 is available if you get stuck.

Reply to
Mark Robinson

easily

and

very

it

provides a

knowledge

power

circuit

Thanks, that explanation is interesting and makes sense to me now that you point it out.

Reply to
superdvd

Oh, and I meant 2SD882 in both places where I said 2SD288 above too.

Reply to
Mark Robinson