Repir problem on Velodyne F-1800RII subwoofer speaker

I have a Velodyne F-1800RII that failed. One wire that connects to the voice coil on the speaker has disconnected. There is a tab on the tube that the voice coil is wound on where braided cables attach to the voice coil wire. The braid and connection is then sealed under what looks like white epoxy. That epoxy separated from the tab it was one, allowing the braids to move and break their connection to the voice coil.

To repair the connection, it seems I need to remove the epoxy from the tab to get to the voice coil wire I need to solder. Does anyone have any hints on how to proceed, which I imagine means removing the epoxy? I've thought about using my heat gun with a small tube to direct the heat at only the offending area, but don't know if this would be appropriate.

If I need to carefully cut loose the rear spider from the voice coil tube to get enough voice coil to solder to, is it likiely that the coil is a bit below the spider so I won't damage it while cutting the glue joint between the spider and the tube?

Reply to
Bob F

voice

voice

braid

epoxy

their

how

using

area, but

to get

the

spider and

With good forced ventillation, excavate it with an old soldering iron and a needle of some sort

Reply to
N_Cook

ice

voice

he braid

xy

their

Epoxy is used to make rigid connections, not flexible connections. The cone will flex and the wire should flex with it. The white glue should be some sort of emulsion.

b to

n how

The glue should just peel off. You could carefully peel it with a razor knife.

ea, but

to get

w the

er and

This is more likely to fuch the speaker up royally. I wouldn't try it.

For linearity, the coil should extend well out of the voice coil gap. Pull up the VC stub, and solder a bit of same gauge magnet wire to it to where the braid goes in.

Reply to
spamtrap1888