Repairing damaged ribbon connector slot

I had some free time the other day and figured out the issue with my basket case i7 (bent power supply connection pin on the motherboard.) It's powering up now.

Unfortunately it looks like the ribbon cable connector has been damaged for the SATA drive on the mobo as well, so the clamp dosent "catch" with the cable when it's inserted and the clamp pressed down. I considered taping it in but on this type of connector, where it isn't a friction fit, I don't think it will apply enough pressure to keep it secure.

Any suggestions? Dab of superglue or hot glue gun, maybe?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Superglue would be my last resort - you don't want it working its way into the electrical contacts...

I am not familiar with something called an i7 (or 'mobo' either for that matter - is this some sort of phone? You sent this with an android, so perhaps this is android speak?), but assuming a standard SATA drive connector that isn't making good contact I would consider using a stronger bond that hot-melt - which doesn't stick that well to stuff. Perhaps contact/rubber cement? Or an adhesive putty like the stuff used to hang posters on walls?

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

that

Pretty certain mobo=motherboard, but I think "i7" is too enigmatic, as well.

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Intel core processors are available in i3, i5 and i7 versions.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yup. It's a Wintel laptop mobo, with a Core i7 processor. Sorry that wasn't clear.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

You can get pc-board mount SATA data connectors on eBay. This seller has 2 for $3.79+$0.80(shipping)

and 10 for $5.99, shipping included

If you want the combo data/power connector, it is also 10 for $5.99, shipping included

Same prices for connectors of the other gender.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this eBay vendor, but I have purchased from other vendors on eBay.

I assume you will have no problems finding replacement data cables.

Reply to
jfeng

I think that is intergallactica station 7, which iirc is Andromenica, or maybe Ardmore.

Reply to
Micky

How is it that they can ship from ShenZhen, Guangdong, China for 80 cents? I suppose they put everything in a big box and pro-rate the shipping, but when I get things in the mail, it doesn't seem like that was done.

Me too. Various things. I've always had good results except I bought a camera, new but without a box or instructions or anything, and it didn't have a battery which I think it should have either had or denoted that it didn't have. That cost me, after shopping, $15. Still the total was cheaper than elsewhere, but not as much. The camera works fine.

Reply to
Micky

China Post (aka the Chinese government) provides free shipping for small parcels. So "big box" here means "shipping container" and "pro-rate" is at zero cost... except to the postal services in the destination countries.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I don't know, but it works. Last year, I bought a USB header from a Hong Kong vendor for US$1.77 and it arrived in a reasonable length of time.

I assume that the manufacturing cost of the connectors is less than 1 yuan, and the price to the middleman is 2-3 yuan. That would leave some room for shipping and a profit.

Reply to
jfeng

I had some free time the other day and figured out the issue with my basket case i7 (bent power supply connection pin on the motherboard.) It's powering up now.

Unfortunately it looks like the ribbon cable connector has been damaged for the SATA drive on the mobo as well, so the clamp dosent "catch" with the cable when it's inserted and the clamp pressed down. I considered taping it in but on this type of connector, where it isn't a friction fit, I don't think it will apply enough pressure to keep it secure.

Any suggestions? Dab of superglue or hot glue gun, maybe?

I've been on this planet a few years now, and have yet to find a situation where Superglue is a good idea. It pretty much just does not work, except for sticking your fingers together.

Hot melt glue sometimes works, but does not adhere well to many surfaces.

Silicone glue/sealant pretty much sticks to everything, is flexible and shockproof, and can be peeled off without damaging anything if you need to have another go. Win, win, win, in my book, I rarely use anything else now.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

It's never worked for me, either.

I've tried using less and less, and more.

It doesn't do that either, for me.

Is it just a big scam, propelled by the enormous advertising campaign years ago, or are there people it works for?

My mother had some Duco Cement, and that never worked for me either.

You're talking about GE silicone sealant that comes in white, black**, clear, and iirc silver??? **Black is only sold at autoparts stores.

I use it too, but I also use:

Contact cement is good for cloth etc. because it bends, even after drying. It used to be Weldwood in the red tube and not Weldwood in the white tube, but that was decades ago and has probably changed.

Android cement is good for almost everything, not as strong as epoxy but strong, and yet can be broken apart if you want later. Dries quickly, smells good. Only sold in hobby stores. Tube never dries out if you keep it sealed. I used one big tube for 20 years. (I only learned about it because the hardware store at Myrtle Ave. in downtown Brookly had two cartons of them on sale cheap because they were all beat up, each tube had been squeezed and bent, but that's the tube that lasted 20 years.

Five-minute epoxee in the syringe is very good for many many things.

PC-7 and PC-11, very very strong, sticks to almost anything including glass (at least the demo showed that. I've never needed to glue anything to glass.) Moldable, space filler. Can be applied to a dripping drain (because the drain had a hole in it and the faucet washer was no good) and still dries and stops the leak. I lost the cap to a wine sack, put vaseline on the threads, molded some PC-7 around it, put a hole through for a string, and when it tried, I unscrewed it and now it's a cap. I patched a leaking pot and then forgot and boiled all the water out, but it still didn't leak. I even made replacement teeth on the gear of a commercial "egg" mixer, but that only worked for a couple minutes. (I should have roughed up the glossy area where most of the glue went, but I was only 19 y.o.) I've never used PC-11 iirc, and I don't understand the difference. The label says PC-11 is for water areas -- well I guess that's the difference but 7 seemed to work well there too. 7 is dark grey and 11 is white.

Reply to
Micky

Well that would account for it. So who gets the 80 cents?

So the US etc. have to handle their part for free, because that's the system for all but the originating country, right?

Reply to
Micky

By international treaty. Google "Universal Postal Union". The recipient country agrees to complete the delivery. It works both in both directions.

Reply to
jfeng

Just for reference, the fashion of ribbon cable clip that's damaged looks similar to this:

The clip pins are damaged and it won't latch down to secure the ribbon.

Reply to
bitrex

Oops. Ambroid Glue

I dind't even know it was waterproof!!

Micky

Double Oops. It's actually a cement, like I said in the first place.

Reply to
Micky

I misunderstood. Somehow, I thought you meant a standard SATA data connector.

Anyway, this Molex connector from Digikey looks pretty similar:

Assuming you cable has its wires on a standard pitch, it should be possible and easy to find a mating pair to replace your broken ones.

Reply to
jfeng