Repairing air compressors

I have a 25 gal, 2hp sears air compressor. It was on a roof and I think the air hose started leaking and nobody noticed it. I think it ran and ran until it could run no more and now is dead. When this happens what goes bad? There is supposed to be an auto-temp shut off that is built into the off/on switch but it still won't work turning it off and on. Any ideas. It is on a roof so I need to either fix a part or we have to find a way to get it off the roof. Thanks

Reply to
Russ

Sears? Virtually everything was bad from the factory.

Motor doesn't run? Compressor doesn't compress? Motor humms? Totally dead? You are a wealth of information here.

Cripes that is easy, a simple push and down it goes. But I gotta ask: what insane thought made someone put a compressor on the ROOF?

Most likely if it is Sears, it is not worth fixing.

Reply to
PeterD

The thermal overload would be in the motor, in series with the power switch. Some motors have a resettable overload sensor. It is a red button on one end of the motor. If you have a manual for the compressor, it will show you where it is. If it is a direct drive compressor instead of a belt drive, replace it with a new compressor. If it is a belt drive design, you can buy a new motor, if needed. Northern Tools, Harbor Freight and a lot of industrial surplus dealers can supply a suitable motor.

Michael A. Terrell