Re: Slowing Down the CPU Speed

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your information, suggestions, etc.

I decided to add a "heat spreader" (enhance the heat sink). This particular laptop has a removable panel on the bottom that allows access to the heat sink, fan and CPU. Next to this area is the battery compartment. Since the battery is no good anymore I decided to remove a section between the CPU area and battery compartment. I cut a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum (drilled holes for fan) which I attached to the existing heat sink and supported it at various points. It extends into the battery compartment area.

Now, it takes around 40 minutes before the fan runs, but it doesn't run constantly. It may run for around 10 seconds, then stop. A little while later, same thing.

Brad

Hi, > > I have two WinBook XL2 laptops with Windows 98se. Most of the time, I use >them off line (off the Web) and I don't need the CPU running at full speed >(400Mhz). The problem is the noisy fan that cools the CPU. This fan is not >defective since it is noisy on both laptops and it runs constantly after a >warm up period. > > I could not find anything in "Setup" or the manual that allows you to >reduce the CPU speed. > > Is there a utility that would allow me to slow down the CPU, thus >reducing the heat up so the fan doesn't constantly run? > > Thanks in advance, Brad > > Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., > be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.
Reply to
Brad