Thermal insulators "Phase Change Material"

I am trying to use some Laird Tpcm 580 Series thermal isolators between TO-247s and an al heat sink. See attached

The To-247 packs are 0.198" thick and I am using a double layer of 5810 material which is 0.010" each thick with 0.217" spacers.The screws are torqued down and at about 150Vdc the smokes escapes. Of cause I can use a normal Sil pads with their terrible thermal resistance and all is well. I need the 0.016C/W of the PCM to allow full power operation. Has anybody used this material? What am I doing wrong?

Harry

Reply to
Harry D

These are not usually considered to be insulators. We tried phase change stuff and hated it.

0.016 K/W will be really hard.

Hard anodize on the heat sink, with grease, is about the best you'll do if you need insulation.

More extreme: use a heat spreader block and insulate that from the heat sink.

Even better, don't insulate the transistors from the heat sink.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den torsdag den 25. september 2014 23.17.53 UTC+2 skrev Harry D:

afaict tell from the datasheet at maximum compression is is 0.013 C-inch^2/W

a TO247 is less that half an inch^2

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Perhaps a stupid thought, but are you sure they are intended for high voltage applications? I find it suspicious that they don't specify a breakdown voltage in the datasheet. A high volume resistivity doesn't imply a high breakdown voltage. The application examples are all low voltage, too.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

I agree, it's not an insulator. Once it changes phase, the insulator properties probably go to hell.

Martin Riddle

They are classified as "Thermal-Interface-Materials", not an insulator.

Martin Riddle

Den torsdag den 25. september 2014 23.17.53 UTC+2 skrev Harry D:

afaict tell from the datasheet at maximum compression is is 0.013 C-inch^2/W

a TO247 is less that half an inch^2

-Lasse So if 0.5 the area is that not 2x the thermal resistance?

Harry

Reply to
Harry D

These are not usually considered to be insulators. We tried phase change stuff and hated it.

0.016 K/W will be really hard.

Hard anodize on the heat sink, with grease, is about the best you'll do if you need insulation.

More extreme: use a heat spreader block and insulate that from the heat sink.

Even better, don't insulate the transistors from the heat sink.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What is this magic heat spreader block?

Will hard anodize withstand 630V. ....270Vdc surge to 430/.7= 614VDC

Harry

Harry
Reply to
Harry D

Den fredag den 26. september 2014 01.53.22 UTC+2 skrev Harry D:

yes so 0.026 you said you need 0.016

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No magic, Harry Potter. Bolt the transistor to a copper block, and insulate the block from the heat sink. Theta goes down because the insulator area increases. You get a bonus reduction in theta by reducing the spreading thermal resistance of the heat sink itself.

Another possibility is to make the spreader block out of aluminum, bare on top and anodized on the bottom, for the insulation.

All machined flat and greased, of course. The main heat sink needs to be flat, too.

Here's an aluminum heatsink with copper heat spreaders. No insulators... the heat sink itself is mounted on delrin blocks.

You mentioned 150 VDC. I wouldn't recommend anodize above 200 volts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh, a good high-voltage insulator is greased aluminum nitride. Might need a heat spreader.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Dow 340 grease will squeeze down to under 100 micro-inches (my measurement resolution) with moderate pressure. The phase-change gorp oozes out a bit around the edges but stays mills thick, so has a lot more theta than grease. Neither insulates.

If you replace a transistor, the gorp is messier than the grease.

Kapton is a great insulator, but theta is huge.