Re : British to America Video Imports?

FYI:

The format of the output of a DVD player is almost entirely dependant on the DVD player, with few exceptions.

Come on, they got progressive scan, a number of HDTV formats and who knows what else. The true resolution of a DVD disc can be waaaaay higher than we'll ever see on an actual TV.

Now, PAL is dead, as dead as NTSC. I must admit that PAL was better, it's all a mute point now. This discussion is somewhat like older discussions with people who have Beta tapes or Laser disks.

All in all, there are hacks, and such things are nessecary. There is also copying. There is also getting just the right DVD player using an IDE drive and putting an authentication free DVD drive in it. It should play in the format for which it was designed at that point.

How can a DVD drive in a computer play in whatever size window you dictate ? Random access memory.

Why (if you take the lid off), if you stop a DVD while it's playing you get a freeze frame, and possibly a few more seconds of audio ? Same answer: random access memory.

I respect the technology and what must've gone into it, but I think it was pretty shitty of them to come up with this region crap.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly

Resolution on a static picture, yes. But it all gets rather messy with movement. And the depths of colours. The definitive pro video recorder is the DigiBeta, and you won't get that amount of data on a DVD.

They were both a method of getting analogue compatible colour and B&W pictures over a single circuit. PAL being later was obviously better.

Big business rulz.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)