Re: Altec Lansing ATP3 Speaker system transformer failed.

Check your typing. The company is Ten Pao.

There is usually a part number on their transformers. Find the number and

Conductivity? Plug it in and measure the AC voltage produced at the output of the transformer.

I've seen opens on commodity power transformers are when there is mechanical or chemical damage to the wires. More common are the thermal fuses hidden under the tape covering the transformer windings.

I can't answer that without knowning something about the type of power supply. Is the bridge full wave, full wave center tapped, or something else? Is the 12.5 V before or after the voltage regulator? Digging with Google:

Looks like you're not the only one with a transformer problem in the ATP3. At least we now have the part number, but for the 230 VAC version: TEN PAO Model no.:TG51219F0 Input: AC 230V/50Hz Output: AC 12.5V/2.5A I can't figure out the 117VAC version part number.

"Hacking an Altec-Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer for Stand-Alone Operation"

This doesn't answer your question, but might be useful reading. Please note the external on-off switch wiring. One a different model speaker system, I had a similar "no power" failure that was caused by me kicking the sub-woofer enclosure and eventually breaking the on-off switch.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
[...]

Does it look badly burnt or is there no physical sign of stress?

It would be very unlikely that both windings would go O/C simultaneously unless it had failed catastrophically and that would be rather obvious from the outside.

Simple question: Did you measure the resistance between the two ends of the same winding or are the terminals laid out in a confusing way, so you measured resistance between two different windings?

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham